College Basketball 2023 - 2024

The Red Raiders looked like they were still getting worked by the Red Cougars in the first half. That was some first rate ass-kicking / adjustments at half time.

Not only has the team surpassed expectations so far, McCasland has as well.

The overall questionable quality of Big XII officiating notwithstanding, it’s the most entertaining league by far. Which is, of course, the point of it all.

1 Like

Kansas State pulls it out 70-66. The hapless Cowboys come close…again.

Hmmm I feel like I remember the day when beating WVU (by 30) was looked down on. Since then they have beaten UT and Kansas….

So has UCF. The Big12 added 3 of the 4 best basketball teams from the AAC.

OSU’s coach has to be on a very very hot seat.

1 Like

There are no conference officials in college basketball. They are mercenaries.

https://thespun.com/college-hoops/look-college-basketball-referees-absurd-schedule-going-viral

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Thanks.

Neither did I. I’ve been to two UH games so far this season. First an early season matchup against the Corpus Christie A&M Islanders and then Saturday’s game with UCF. The officiating crews were the same at both games, so I assumed they were a local Big 12 crew. So who employs the referees? I always assumed it was conference by conference.

Big 12 games only.

Tech seem unusually adept at not committing fouls.

The McCasland effect.

Ha! that was my excel table, that I posted on Coogfans. I assume that’s where you saw it?

1 Like

Hilarious. Do you suppose every other coach teaches fouling?

No, but other coaches may not necessarily emphasize it.

What is your explanation?

1 contribution to it is that 4 of the 5 teams Tech has played shoot the lowest close range 2s. I’d think you are more likely to pick up fouls on shots near the basket.

1 Like

I do not have one, but attributing it to a coach is hilarious. Every coach above church league teaches playing good defense without fouling.

1 Like

I know why UH will always have a high Opp FGA/FTM, its due to the style defense Sampson runs. ISU is similar. I dont get why UH is getting so few fouls called on the other end though. Against Tech UH shot 3 total FTs, despite scoring a boat load of points in the paint. Saturday, UH shot 40 2pt shots to UCF’s 23. UH took 16 FTs, UCF 33.

1 Like

Well, since all coaches are equal in this regard, it will certainly even out by the end of the year.

All coaches teach defense and free throw shooting too, but not all teams perform them equally.