College Baseball 2022

There’s a rather wide gulf between the Horns and the Owls.

It was a 2-1 pitcher’s duel and a pretty good game with Auburn getting the edge.
Border Conference Rules!!!

Remember when Rice was a damn good program?

Seems like a long, long time ago.

Well, I’ve never seen that before: Texas kid struck out on a high fastball that wound up hitting him in the forehead.

Graham overstayed. I think they could be a good program again.

For those not following along on the Longhorn Network: UT with the 3-game sweep against Rice by a combined 36-3 score.

Also a forgettable weekend for the Owls’ crosstown rival. The Coogs lose all 3 games at the MLB4 tournament including a 10-0 shellacking by TCU today.

And in perhaps the biggest matchup of opening weekend, #7 Okla. State went into Nashville and took 2 of 3 games against #3 Vandy.

1 Like

Auburn allowed just 5 runs (4 earned) in the three games they played this weekend.
They also had a successful steal of home.

https://twitter.com/AuburnBaseball/status/1495463208668340228

Just looked at the Sunday game - K-State hit 8 Auburn batters. 4 of those came with the bases loaded. Hope your team brings plenty of ice for K-State games.

2 Likes

BatCats go 3-0 against the Big XII with their 13-2 win over Texas Tech yesterday. For the weekend, they weren’t terribly far off the Longhorns’ pace. Out scored K State, oklahoma, and Tech 35-12. And they did it without their starting third baseman (also one of the team’s best hitters) who’s out with a shoulder injury.

1 Like

This doesn’t sound at all familiar to a Longhorn fan.

2 Likes

Rice and Houston weren’t the only Texas teams to suck this weekend. Baylor, picked in preseason polls to finish 5th in the Big 12 behind the Top 25 teams of UT/OK St/Tech/TCU, dropped all 3 of its games at home to Maryland. The Terrapins entered the Top 25 today as a result at #22. And DBU dropped 2 of 3 games at home to SEMO and fell out of the Top 25.

Arizona embarrassed Tech. Bad pitching and bad hitting is no way to start the season for Tech. The Wildcats look sharp, especially the pitching—and hitting.

Bad pitching, bad hitting, and living in Lubbock is no way to go through life, son.

3 Likes

To paraphrase the late, great John McKay…we didn’t pitch very well. But we made up for it by not hitting.

2 Likes

“What do you think of your team’s execution?”
“I’m in favor of it”

4 Likes

I had a layover in Lubbock on Sunday night and was more than happy to sport my UA shirt at the bar at our hotel next to Jones Stadium :wink:

Btw, Texifornia, that newer developed area near Jones Stadium is solid and our hotel, The Overton, is mighty nice I must admit. It’s got to be nuts there for a game day weekend.

Go BatCats.

Like you and I talked about, it’s still early, but I like the BatCats’ performance this past weekend on the road at the arlington mouth-breathers’ stadium against the Big XII.

Let’s hope this is a sign of good things to come for UA this season…
:bear::arrow_down:

1 Like

SHSU went 3-1 on opening weekend versus Nebraska and tonight picked up a big win with the 6-4 defeat of #4 Oklahoma State.

1 Like

BatCats got ButtsKicked by Grand Canyon U tonight by a 19-3 score. (Pointless aside: ex-MLBers at the helm of both programs with ex-Astro Andy Stankiewicz in charge at GCU and as already noted Chip Hale leads the UA program)

1 Like

It was ugly. Six errors on the night and several young pitchers exposed by their inexperience. BatCats have some work to do. Full credit to GCU, though. They’re a well coached team who beat the hell out of a nationally ranked opponent.

1 Like

I believe the invocation of the term, “shitting the bed” would be apt to use here in the case of my alma mater’s performance against the Messiah-lovers of grand canyon yesterday.
Holy shit.