College Baseball 2021

As did Bob Horner and Hubie Brooks in 1978 out of Arizona State.

Not both top of the draft, but Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro out of Mississippi State in '85

Leiter now with 16 straight no-hit innings after blanking Mizzou over 7 frames tonight. Pulled after having thrown 101 pitches.

Sickā€¦

LSU has managed 2 runs on 3 hits against Leiter, along with 12 Ks in 6 innings.

Recorded that game last night just to finally see Leiter. While the fastball is definitely electric, I was sort of underwhelmed. Kind of a max-effort delivery and sketchy command. Havenā€™t seen Rocker this year, but based on my recollection, Iā€™m assuming Rocker goes before Leiter.

The Big XII follows a stellar basketball season with a league full of powerhouses in NCAA Baseball.

The smallest major conference at just nine teams means thereā€™s no hiding from any conference rival as everybody plays everybody. Even the two weakest teams in the league, Kansas and Kansas State are improved and can beat any other team in the league on any given night.

UT and TTU are at the top of the rankings, but Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU and WVU also have strong teams. I guess that at least six will make the Tournament.

FWIW (given itā€™s still two months to go until the start of the tournament), Baseball America in their latest projection had 5 Big 12 teams playing in the postseason (no Baylor or West Virginia). Theyā€™ve got the ACC and SEC with a record-tying 10 bids apiece.

And in their latest projection released today BA with just 4 Big 12 teams in the tourney as they drop OU after the Sooners got routed and swept by TCU at home this weekend by a collective 35-17 score.

Wildass game at the Disch last night against Kansas State: First round picks Jordan Wicks and Ty Madden on the mound, 6 ejections, blown leads, huge innings, dogs and cats living togetherā€¦

The replay/condensed game is on the LHN at noon if anyoneā€™s interested, hereā€™s a writeup if not:

Summary

Eight-run inning gives No. 4 Texas 13-6 win over Kansas State - Burnt Orange Nation

Still not sure what the logic was behind all the ejections. Neither Antico or the catcher were ejected, Williams I understand, Faltine maybe, but if so, why not their pitcher. Sort of odd all around.

Was a great game though, way better than the Astros game.

This Texas team has a lot of positive traits.

1 Like

This is the best offense Iā€™ve seen from a Texas team in a while.

eta: I recorded it and watched until I fell asleep tonight, finished it this morning, but why on earth does LHN condense their next day replays ā€œdue to time considerationsā€? What time considerations; you show 1-3 live events on any given day and you canā€™t squeeze in 1 full replay?

Texas Tech is in trouble. With two starters out of the lineup theyā€™ve already lost a series to an improved Kansas State and lost the series opener to TCU yesterday. If Tadlock canā€™t right the ship, Tech wonā€™t be hosting anything in the tournament.

The Red Raiders walk it off in the 10th in the second game against TCU; and today, on get-away day, they run rule them out of Lubbock.

You never knowā€¦

Ivan Melendez has been a heck of a Juco signing by the Horns, heā€™s hit 2 HRs today (6 straight games with a HR), one over the batterā€™s eye in dead CF and one that hit the top of the video board in LCF, both estimated at over 450ā€™. Read somewhere that he got on Pierceā€™s radar due to a recommendation from a former Horn IF whoā€™s also from El Paso (Omar Quintanilla).

@JimR, any thoughts on the team this year?

With all the talk about juiced and unjuiced balls in MLB, are HRs and offense up in college ball this year in general, or should I be properly excited about the Horns?

Iā€™ll also add that baseball season is by far the best thing about the Longhorn Network.

2 Likes

Be excited. We finally have an offense. I have no idea about the ball.

The ball thing was just an offhand thought.

I canā€™t remember the last time we had a lineup like this. Fun to watch.

1 Like

A friend asked me if a UT player ever hit homers on 5 consecutive days. I cannot remember anything close. A team I was on hit 4 consecutive homers in a game, but one player hitting homers in five (now six) consecutive games? No.

1 Like

His shots this weekend have been jaw dropping.

I saw the replay. He made the Disch look like a band box. So much for the ā€œmuch improvedā€ KSU team. UT destroyed them, scoring 37 runs (I think) in three games.

There has not been much offense in Austin in many years, and I do not want to jinx this. Fun so far.

1 Like