Cocktails

I used Still Austin. But I’ve passed the point in my life where drink cheap booze in anything. I’m not using Louis XIII in my Sidecar or anything, but I ain’t mixing with Cutty Sark either.

Drinking free beer and wine on the ship makes me think if it were not for the damn meetings, I would join AA.

6 Likes

Because I fly a lot, I get upgraded sometimes and also get access to airport lounges which have free drinks. If I have flown a few times in a single week, I will find myself thinking to myself, “just because it’s there and free doesn’t mean you have to drink it“.

3 Likes

I try to limit alcohol when I fly. Alcohol is a diuretic and exacerbates the effects of jet lag, especially on long flights. Maybe a glass of wine in the lounge or with dinner on the plane, but too much wears me out. Plus most lounges in the US serve the cheap stuff for free. If you’re on an Emirates A380, however…

2 Likes

If you are ever in the Waco area, stop by the Balcones Distillery. I think that the Baby Blue is particularly good.

2 Likes

Baby Blue is my favorite. The Brimstone is definitely different, and has its time and place.

This thread doesn’t have a problem it can stop whenever it wants

3 Likes

Back in my drinking days I loved Baby Blue. Their rye was also great for an old fashioned or a fancy free (which I did more often than a typical old fashioned).

I prefer Balcones to Garrison Bros., but I also tend to find their whiskeys a bit too hot for my taste. i know it’s intentionally released early, but it would be interesting to find some older bottles of Baby Blue to see how it evolves.

ETA - if anyone is looking for an interesting American whiskey using heritage varieties of corn, High Wire Distilling out of South Carolina and their Jimmy Red Corn Bourbon is superb. And the back story is damn cool.

So I’m sitting here at the bar, it’s not particularly crowded, and the bartender wants to make me a Manhattan. Sure. The ratios are off and he shakes the damn thing, so there’s foam in my cocktail in addition to it being way short on the vermouth. He asked for my honest feedback. He’s a good lad and just wants to improve his skills. And I’m reminded…I typically like all things James Bond, but shaking a martini…what the literal fuck?

If he like to shake things, maybe he can give you one of those Italian Handshakes…

1 Like

You’re a 1-track minded motherfucker.

2 Likes

Honest feedback is a very good opportunity to tell him exactly how it should be made.

If a shaken martini is done right, it leaves tiny slivers of ice floating in the surface. It’s a wonderful thing.

2 Likes

“Your man Bond is ordering a weak ass martini and being snooty about it.” - Jed Bartlett

1 Like

That’s a horrible thing, IMO. It’s why shaken cocktails should be double strained. But I’m a cocktail snob, so…

It’s almost like Bond can’t hold his liquor. And if it’s Pierce Brosnan Bond, it’s probably pretty accurate. What a wanker.

2 Likes

Manhattan #2 is much better.

2 Likes

This is how I like my Gibson.

No, “my Gibson” is not a nickname for anything.

Pierce Brosnan just got busted for walking around the Yellowstone thermals.

Fuck that guy. I wish he had burned.