So to kick this one off…saw this today and am giving it a try:

100-Year-Old Cigar

1 3/4 oz aged rum
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Islay Scotch
1/8 oz absinthe
1 dash Angostura bitters

Combine the rum, Cynar, Benedictine, scotch, and bitters and stir with ice. Strain into a cold glass rinsed with the absinthe.

Yeah, it tastes like a cigar.

This reminds me. A friend shared some Kaniché rum (Panama) with me this week and it was great. Flor de Caña 18 is still my go-to, but this stuff redefined smooth.

Laying low a bit while I recover from Harvest, Game 6, and now find myself in middle of bottling. Christ, it’s been a few months.

That said, I am really good at drinking, cocktails and wine in particular.

Last night, made one of my favorites, The Third Man (for nerds like myself, a welcome reference to the Orson Welles film):

1 1/2 oz bourbon
1 oz Grapefruit juice
3/4 oz Campari
3/4 oz Lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup

Quick notes:

• Recipe calls for Belle Meade, but I like Buffalo Trace or Bulleit 10 Year Old as a substitute
  • I prefer equal parts grapefruit to bourbon
  • Recipe also doesn’t specify, but Ruby Red or pink grapefruit (instead of white) really makes the drink
3 Likes

Best have this ready on Alert Five(my Naval Aviator former fighter coworkers says this is acceptable)/Ready Five this week, ol’ brother of mine :metal:t2:

1 Like

That sounds fantastic. I love grapefruit juice in cocktails. Super refreshing.

A few years ago I had a cocktail at a restaurant in Washington DC called an “Italian Handshake”. I’ve never seen it anywhere else, so they may have invented it for all I know. It’s a little on the sweet side, so you can’t have too many and it may not be for everyone, but it’s a great way to start or end a good meal.

2 oz Amaretto
1 oz white rum
1 oz orange juice
1 oz cranberry juice
1 oz pineapple juice.

Combine and shake vigorously with ice. Strain over fresh ice. A Luxardo cherry makes a fine garnish. Obviously the fresher the juices the better.

Mrs. Hawk has asked that I one available for her post-feast on Thursday while she finishes trimming the tree (and I mean that non-euphemistically).

3 Likes

I never made one of these for you? Huh. I’ll rectify that in a few days.

You probably have, but it’s a bit hazy of a memory.

Like many Napa memories…

1 Like

Loved and Unloved getting together. It is like a fucking Hallmark movie!

1 Like

Maybe more like the after school special that was really more of a PSA?

3 Likes

Next thing you know, our mother may actually show affection to him or even acknowledge his existence at this Thanksgiving in Napa.

Remains to be seen…

1 Like

I just mixed a Third Man to assist with prepping/cooking this afternoon and that is fantastic! Thanks!

Glad you liked it!! Really is one of my favorites. Like HH, I love grapefruit in a cocktail and will almost certainly try a house cocktail if I see it listed as an ingredient.

1 Like

I’m a grapefruit fan too, but I’m also a huge fan of Graham Greene who authored The Third Man so it’s extra enjoyable.

Haven’t read the book, although I’ve heard it’s quite good. The movie is one of my all time favorites.

Which one is the guy in the flannel shirt and which one is the city guy getting dumped?

1 Like

Mad props, and or daps, for my unloved younger sibling’s The Third Man cocktail to start off our Thanksgiving.

Also, buy his wine, Fine Disregard.
It’s damn good.

If you don’t, you probably hate the Houston Astros baseball club deep down.

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all.

Prost!

Let’s go Astros.

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving to my favorite Astros fans brothers!

2 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving. The pumpkin pie is in the hot box, and the Turley is in the ice box. Now it’s just timing.

1 Like

So Santa brought me a cocktail journal, where I can write down all my cocktail recipes and have them in one place. Reckon I ended up on the “nice” list.

5 Likes

Definitely borrowing that gift idea for next year.