Click, Click, Boom

Absolutely true, but what is also true is that practically everyone in the industry is appalled at the treatment of Click here by Crane. Crane can do what he wants. He’s the owner. But no World Series winning GM is taking a 1 year deal. Click is the first GM not to return to a World Series winning team in 75 years. Crane obviously didn’t respect or like Click. It’s his call. He better hope it works.

This may all work out just fine in the end. But it really sucks that this is going to feed a legion of negative articles on the Astros just as we were starting to be viewed more favorably as an org.

1 Like

Nope. He walked away rather than accept a one-year contract and a raise. That is a huge ego. How many years did Dusty get?

Click isn’t 75. Just listen to baseball folks. A one year offer to a GM who won a World Series is unheard of. There isn’t an existing MLB GM who would have taken Crane’s one year deal. It’s about respect and Crane obviously doesn’t respect Click. And that’s is fine (I guess). It’s Crane’s team. BUT HE BETTER BE RIGHT.

He didn’t take a one-year offer, then Crane fired him (he was working without a contract). It is not a mark of a huge ego to decline an insulting offer. Dusty is a totally different situation, he’s 73 and may prefer to go year-to-year. Crane’s offer was a middle finger to Click and the message was clear.

2 Likes

I think if Crane and Dusty are making GM decisions that the GM doesn’t buy into, then that is a source of real trouble. (I don’t know if any of that is true ofc).

2 Likes

MLB execs are abuzz over the bizarre treatment of GM James Click following his Astros’ World Series win. Everyone around the game finds it stunning he was offered only a one-year deal to remain GM, which seems like an invitation to leave following two consecutive World Series appearances, and not surprisingly, word is he’s quite upset over the situation.

(article was posted last night)

Hard to say it’s bad if these are the decisions…

-Not trading Urqidy for Contreras
-Batting Pena 2nd
-Maldy catching the top 3 pitchers
-Mancini not being used

Those all go against the analytics and certainly the GM’s intent (trading for Vasquez/Mancini). We’ll see what else may come to light now that Click is free to talk (although I bet he’s pretty tight lipped).

As you said, Crane made the offer with the intent of it being rejected.

It’s entirely possible. But Crane has been a good enough owner that we’ve collectively ignored a lot of prior evidence that he was, at best, a difficult person to work with and for.

I don’t see anything wrong with healthy, respectful, professional disagreement among the owner, the GM and the manager (and anyone else involved in a decision making capacity). Unless Click was openly defiant or just completely impossible to deal with day to day, and this seems unlikely to me from what I know of him, this seems ego driven on Crane’s part, venal and stupid.

Anyway, Nostradumbass over here told y’all he was going to re-up Dusty and shitcan Click.

5 Likes

There are healthy disagreements and there is contempt for your opinion and when you encounter the latter its time to go.

Obviously, it’s impossible to know from afar what the personality dynamics are.

2 Likes

Seems silly they couldn’t work this out. Not super excited about Click leaving but Crane has a pretty good track record when it comes to hiring GMs and Managers.

2 Likes

Having aired my grievance against Crane’s handling of this situation I’ll now put on the record that I expect this to work out fine in terms of on-field success, and whoever he hires to replace Click will probably be a good GM in that respect.

(basically what Navin just said)

So far Crane has made moves that have worked out. I trust he has someone in mind and is probably why he intentionally insulted Click with his 1 year offer.

Hopefully he won’t insult Verlander with a 1 year offer next, though.

Does this mean Jeff Luhnow is coming back?

Doubt it

No Cole, no problem
No Springer, no problem
No Strom, no problem
No Correa, no problem
No Click, no problem

4 Likes

We don’t know what we don’t know.

1 Like