Chili (topics must be at least 6 characters)

I was sentenced to a year of my life in Buchanan, WV as a kid when my parents divorced. The principal of the elementary school ran a school lunch scam, working with the cafeteria cooks to pocket most of the federally funded school lunch program $$. To feed us on the cheap, they fed us beans. Sometimes kidney, sometimes navy, sometimes butter or cannellini and many times some of each. Heated up, no salt or pepper but with some ketchup packets as the vegetable but only two allowed per kid. Once the jig was up, it took the authorities 3 trials in federal court to send him to prison because none of the locals would rat on him to “them damn Feds”. I just started liking beans again 6 years ago after a few trips to Costa Rica and Puerto Rico and eating their beans and rice.

2 Likes

My god, the smell of that school must’ve been like an eternal methane leak.

2 Likes

I just finished off the chili I made last Sunday. Started cooking Navy Beans and Ham Hocks today.

I hope they didn’t feed the MFer anything in the slammer but beans. But I’m sure Poetic wasn’t their form of Justice.

Are there still any decent frozen chilis? Back in chili’s heyday, it was something you could find in the frozen food section.

I have some homemade chili in my freezer that is well beyond decent. In fact pretty good when thawed and heated.

1 Like

yeah, I probably need to make some and freeze it. I was just hoping to avoid the work, and I couldn’t quite bring myself to canned.

Yeah, chili freezes great, so do a lot of soups and sauces. I’ve been in the habit of making extra whatever so I’ll have stuff in the freezer for days when I’m not in the mood to cook or eat out.

1 Like