Chili (topics must be at least 6 characters)

If You Know Beans About Chili, You Know That Chili Has No Beans
by Ken Finlay, singer, songwriter, and owner of Cheatham Street Warehouse (a music hall in San Marcos), written in 1976.

You burn some mesquite and when the coals get hot, you bunk up some meat and you throw it on a pot.
While some chile pods and garlic and comino and stuff, then you add a little salt till there’s just enough.
You can throw in some onions to make it smell good.
You can even add tomatoes, if you feel like you should.
But if you know beans about chili, you know that chili has no beans

If you know beans about chili, you know it didn’t come from Mexico.
Chili was God’s gift to Texas (or maybe it came from down below).
And chili doesn’t go with macaroni, and dammed Yankee’s don’t go with chili queens; and if you know beans about chili, you know that chili has no beans.

I think we have that recipe.

I suspect that the whole no-beans riff was a 70s Central Texas hippiedom claim for authenticity that would have baffled their parents.

1 Like

you lost me at ketchup.

Let me just stop the song right here and stipulate that any cookery beyond the word “mesquite” is ruined. Just thinking about the smell pisses me off.

Well, I’m an oak boy myself, but that seems like an overly strong reaction.

I got no problem with mesquite but I use mostly pecan. I have used oak and cherry when I can get them.

I use mostly pecan too, but post oak is pretty good. It produces the most smoke. I’ve tried cherry, peach, apple…I’ve never been all that enthused about the fruit woods. Frankly, I can’t tell much difference. Oak, I can tell. Mesquite, I can definitely tell. Cherry? Eh…

1 Like

There’s a good bit of comical shit going on here. Carry on.

Yes, I’ll admit that I’m completely unreasonable when it comes to mesquite. I think it goes back to a time when I was famished and ordered a big juicy burger, and instead got this dry-ass nasty piece of shit that reeked of mesquite. One bite literally made me gag.

Also, one time in the country outside Lubbock I went behind a bush to pee, and when I pulled my pants down I got a goddamn mesquite thorn right in the leg.

There are so many good types of wood to use in Texas. There is just no reason to ruin good meat by smoking it with a goddamn poisonous weed.

Mesquite always seemed to grow like a weed. My dad was always clearing them out. That’s probably why it is used so much.

Now i miss my dad. Thanks, Craig.

1 Like

Yikes, sorry about that. My unreasonable hatred of mesquite is always threatening to lead me down a dark path. But at least there wouldn’t be any damn thorns.

Mesquite IS a weed. It’s not native to Texas, and it’s nasty as hell. And the thorns are a tractor tire’s worst nightmare. Come to think of it…I hate mesquite too.

1 Like

A few years ago we were in a group taste test at A&M for briskets smoked with different wood. Hickory came in first, pecan and oak pretty much tied at second, mesquite was fourth, though not as far off as everyone expected. Mesquite can add a bitter taste that other woods don’t, but it’s ok if it’s what you’ve got, at least for smoking.

For lack of anything else, we always had mesquite for the fireplace and outdoor camp outs, and I’m fond of the smell. It’s hard and burns hot and long, and is an excellent fuel.

I’ve got plans today to finish off the last of the chili with a second round of Frito pie. It was pretty good chili, and I may need to make more to make it through the rest of WinterPalooza.

I love that recipe and have made it several times. I always use the beer and the coffee and the chocolate or whatever it is she tells me to use.

I left out all the extras except the beer, so mostly I kept the chilis, garlic, and cumin and added some cayenne. It’s great.

I am a firm believer that chili is much, much better with cubed chuck than with ground beef. I would never put beans, but I do add tomatoes and other things. Here’s our recipe:

1 tbsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp coriander
1 tbsp dried oregano
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 lb beef chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped
5 fresh jalapenos (preferably red), stemmed, seeded and chopped
3 tbsp masa harina
2 tbsp ground chile powder
3 whole dried chiles (chipotle, ancho, new mexico as available - can be left out)
2 lbs chopped canned tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 bottle (12 oz.) dark beer
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
4 cups water or low-salt canned chicken broth

In a large, heavy-based skillet, Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the oil until very hot (oil should be beginning to smoke). Brown the meat in the oil in batches (add more oil as needed), being careful not to crowd the pan or the meat will stew in its own juices and not brown. Get the meat very brown (almost burnt). Transfer the browned meat from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels. Don’t clean the skillet after browning the meat. Pour out any excess oil/fat, keeping just enough to sautee the vegetables.

To the same skillet, add the onion, garlic, jalapenos, flour, chile powder, and the cumin, coriander, and oregano. Stir over medium-high heat until the onion begins to soften, 5 to 8 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook until paste begins to brown. Return the meat to the skillet; add the tomatoes, beer, chocolate. whole chiles (if available) and water or stock. Simmer until the meat is fork-tender, about 2 hours.

Serve with sour cream, cheese, and chopped onions.

2 Likes

Would love to get a hold of the recipe for that Voodoo Chile that was such a big hit in the 60s.

3 Likes

There needs to be a button for “golf clap”

1 Like