Brewers at Astros, 5/19/24

Bot 7 continued:

Yordan walks then steals second?!?!
Bregman goes 10 pitches but strikes out on the sweeper.

End 7, 9-4 Astros

Tucker had struck out three times, changed his shoes which were horrible and themed and apparently had something to do with Orbitā€™s birthday (not even kidding), and promptly hit two home runs.

[mookie.gif]

1 Like

Sorry, Mars rather than Mookie.

[mars.gif]

Errands are calling, yall take it the rest of the way.

Astros win 9-4.

Keep winning 2 of 3 and theyā€™ll be right there in the thick of it.

2 Likes

wtf on Joe not having the pen ready in the 7th?! Seriously, heā€™s a baseball guy, right?

I mean Iā€™m glad they wonā€¦ but I have never had such high expectations on a manager turn out to be this dumbfounding.

3 Likes

I have no formal baseball training or experience so I ask this as a legitimate question.

I have asserted for years, and especially this year that outside of your horse, or horses no SP should ever face a hitter w/ a runner on base in the 6th or later. Have someone warming and if the SP does go into 6th, pull him as soon as he allows a baserunner.

Espada has been awful about getting SPs out of the game before a good/great game and confidence bilding opportunity is wasted by allowing runs when they should be in the dugout.

To me this is just how pitching is managed in 2024.

Am I missing something?

Iā€™d say this is a little ridiculous as a hard and fast rule.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you. This is completely situational. You just canā€™t run your bullpen out for 3-4 innings every single night as a gameplan. Score, pitch count, how the guy looks, what your bullpen availability is like that night, whoā€™s coming up, whens the next day off, all this factors in.

Today, I would have had no problem going to the pen to start the 7th, I have no problem with Arrighetti starting the 7th, but the situation today called for a guy to be ready fast. You donā€™t want to start the inning with a guy warming when he might not be needed? Fine. But they need to be at least stretching. First guy gets on, somebody needs to start getting hot the moment first base is touched. The second AB was a fairly long one and Abreu didnā€™t start throwing until the very end of that AB, thats bad managing. If Abreu starting getting hot right after that first AB, heā€™s in the game with runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out instead of bases loaded.

5 Likes

Astros win!!!