Baseball Miscellany

Buck started his career off as a very bad announcer. He’s worked hard to improve and is perfectly fine, but that reputation continues to dog him.

Until cloning technology allows Vin Scully to call every game, we’ll always have things to complain about with announcers.

1 Like

Exactly how I feel, Sphinx. I think he is smug and arrogant, but I do not have issues with his pbp.

This. It’s not what he says, it’s pretty much everything else about him.

Eta: I see Jim and I are on the same wavelength this morning

1 Like

Most days

You may want a tinfoil hat.

I guess this is funny, or you think it is, but I did not laugh.

I reckon we’re not on the same wavelength.

Quite possible

Oh, no:

As part of their negotiations on health and safety protocols, Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association are discussing restoring the rule that placed a runner on second to begin extra innings, sources on both sides told The Athletic on Monday. No agreement has been reached. But several players said they expect the rule to be enacted once the protocols are announced in the next 24 to 48 hours.

The ghost-runner rule has been in effect for each of the last two seasons, as part of baseball’s pandemic efforts to limit not just marathon games but also time spent at the ballpark. The rule was supposed to have expired after last season, but commissioner Rob Manfred has endorsed it multiple times, and players generally like it.

Well, fuck.

They could improve the ghost runner rule if they’d only arm the pitcher with a paint ball gun, and call the runner out if the pitcher shot him.

Did they talk to any pitchers?

1 Like

I think I’ve mention this before, but it’s such an insult to the term “ghost runner” to be used this way. Ghost runners, in suburban street baseball, are required only if you have actually made a hit and the runner needs to take an at-bat (because you are playing with too few players) whereas this is the opposite.

1 Like

Trust fund runners?

1 Like

You’re right, true ghost runners serve a noble purpose.

These aren’t “ghost runners” at all. They’re artificially put in play.

Invoked Runners.

Summoned Runners.

Placed runners.

2 Likes

Manfred Men.

11 Likes

A term is coined. Too bad we can’t add it to the Funk and Wagner’s

3 Likes

Speaking of F&W, Fredia’s disappearance remains a mystery.

1 Like

Manfred doesn’t like Baseball.