Baseball Miscellany

I think Fellers is oddly perfect. I also like the idea of Atlanta becoming the Hammers. Both turn the page while honoring franchise greats. What’s not to like?

Spiders or Buckeyes for me. No, no, no not Fellers.

I’m sorry, it has to be the Cleveland Subcontinentals, with a stylized cartoon of Gandhi on the cap.

3 Likes

“Fellers” puts them on the wrong side of the Lorax.

So nominated.

Omar Vizquel under MLB investigation for domestic violence.

MLB investigating Omar Vizquel after wife accuses him of domestic abuse (yahoo.com)

Not sure if this affects the HOF voting, but most were expecting a pretty big jump for him, possibly even election, considering this is a particularly weak year on the ballot.

Well this is interesting timing…

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1339239227805065219

The Negro Leagues were never as formalized as the white major leagues. They were always a bit more of a loose confederation, with teams moving in and out, and with less certainty in their formulation (or even existence) from year to year than one would expect. Instead of asking when did the leagues die, the better question might be when did particular teams stop playing. The Black Barons, for instance, played until 1960, the Kansas City Monarchs made it until as late as 1965 as an independent entity, and as a member of some Negro League until 1961.

Color me skeptical.

This smacks of some hamfisted PR move.

Now that almost all of the players have died, it’s time to make things sort of right?

I hope they at least provide some backing to the Negro League Museum in KC.

ETA: I don’t care one way or the other on the records aspect. If it better preserves the history of the Negro Leagues then great.

1 Like

I didn’t really explain in my original post why i was looking into that. The obits ofc on Charley Pride described him as playing in the Negro Leagues. But in digging in to his background i saw that he had played with the Memphis Red Sox and the Birmingham Black Barons during the 1950s. Several pieces of information that i came across described the Negro Leagues during that era as being a minor league. That’s why I alluded to declining quality of play but I was still kind of scratching my head as to what year exactly do baseball historians make that distinction between major and minor league status. But with the announcement today from MLB recognizing the major league status of the Negro Leagues but only thru 1948 pretty much answers that question.

So does that mean Josh Gibson is now the MLB single season and career home run leader?

Gibson’s official Negro League stats will count, though his career home run total is 168 and his single season topped out at 20, neither of which would be records.

Fuck Kennesaw Mountain Landis.

You’re right–I didn’t realize the 800 homers on his HOF plaque weren’t all from Negro League games.

There have been formal attempts to record stats from official Negro League games and players, and while they are incomplete, the official record is limited to what can be verified in league play. Teams often barnstormed and played semi-pro and amateur teams regularly, and while Gibson may well have hit 800 home runs in all those combined, and he may have hit that many had he played 150 league games per season, his official MLB records will be limited to verified League games.

MLB and the Players Union contributed $1million in Feb 2019

2 Likes

In case you were wondering how Wags was doing in the HOF voting this year…

Link to the HOF tracker: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!31002&ithint=file,xlsx&authkey=!AKnsRGrHzGEkOuw

Ryan Thibodaux’s twitter account: @NotMrTibbs

Crazy.

I may have missed it but do we still not know whether the NL will use the DH and what the playoff format will be in 2021? This is basic information a GM needs to know when making roster decisions.

No DH in the NL. They announced that a few weeks ago along with a self-congratulatory confirmation that the runner on 2nd in extra innings will be back.

Haven’t seen playoff format info yet.