Baseball Miscellany

You know i remember him going to spring training with the Rangers. Maybe i knew it at the time but i certainly had forgotten that he played in the negro leagues.

I don’t know whether the Negro Leagues Museum keeps a database or not (i suspect not) but i’m curious to know how many players from the league(s) are still alive. Probably quite a few but still are we talking 50? 100? 200?

(And i just went down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out when the league(s) actually “died”. The Negro National League went kaput in '48 but the end date for the Negro American League seems to be rather indecipherable. It may have continued on for an additional decade or so but the quality of play declined so quickly after '48 due to integration that whatever shell remained after just a couple of years isn’t really comparable to that which went before.)

It’s not an insect!!

I thought he had a connect to the Boston Red Sox.

He played for the Memphis Red Sox and Birmingham Black Barons in the negro leagues.

Statistics from the very bottom levels of the minors back in the 1950s I suspect might not be 100% accurate but if you believe B-Ref he played in 3 games in the Yankees minor league system in 1953 and 7 years later in 1960 played in 4 games in the Reds system.

Which would give opportunities to talk about a player having arachnophobia if they don’t do well against Cleveland.

My Vote:

1 Like

Some good/funny suggestions here.

With current trends they’ll be the Cleveland FanDuels

… brought to you by Camperworld

The “Steamers”?

Google it.

Better yet, use urban dictionary.

1 Like

I’m familiar with the term. Which is why I suggested it.

1 Like

Cuyahoga Fire

1 Like

I’d thought of the Flaming Rivers already but I think that you’d want to incorporate a rainbow in there somehow and I imagine that the Marlins have the rainbow market cornered, at least in terms of MLB.

The Cleveland Fire Rob Manfred Into the Suns, or Suns for short

Cabrera liked your suggestion.

Didn’t see it mentioned anywhere else

It was in the tweet posted a few spots above yours. You might not be able to see the logo clearly without following the link.

I think I like the Cleveland Rocks the best. It’s succinct, local, has a ready made theme song, and very stupid.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t tweet, so I missed it.

I think that sounds too much like one of those goofy minor league names…like the “cheddar biscuits”.