Baseball Miscellany

Meh.

Really?

Itā€™s great theyā€™re getting a new stadium but as Iā€™ve mentioned before, I think theyā€™re making a big baseball mistake by putting it in the same location. Itā€™s an amazing real estate/development deal for the Rays ownership but Iā€™m seriously skeptical about what it will do for attendance.

2 Likes

There have been several good articles about how pro sports stadiums have basically become the ā€œanchor tenantā€ for larger development projects owned by the team.

And thatā€™s fine. I see the advantages of that set up. But the stadium will still be 45 minutes each way for a majority of the population with little to no public transportation options. The people of St. Pete will still be propping up the team.

Oh no doubt, my point was that the fans and the actual baseball experience may not be the top concern of ownership.

1 Like

Ah, ok.

Did you ever watch that video I mentioned? They should fire up some ferry service from Tampa, at least for weekend games.

This was my next postā€¦my other idea was a park & train system running alongside one of the bridges and ending near the stadium.

Afraid to say I didnā€™t. Could you point me there again?

I would be very surprised if the team and/or entrepreneur donā€™t have some kind of entertainment transportation set up to coincide with the new digs.

Ainā€™t nobody building a train but St Pete has some interesting express bus service that could potentially be modified for game days.

Train donā€™t run out of Tampaā€¦ unlessinā€™ youā€™re a hog or a cattle. People train run out of Stubbville

1 Like

Why donā€™t they just build two stadiums and alternate between the cities?

Switch cities top of the inning/bottom of the inning to make things equitable.

1 Like

The one time I drove past the stadium I was stunned by how stupidly remote it was. Itā€™s ā€œletā€™s build the Astrosā€™ stadium in Lake Jacksonā€ level dumb.

1 Like

Hear me outā€¦ what if they built one of them in Canada?

2 Likes

15K capacity in each

1 Like

The first commercial airline flight in history was from St. Pete to Tampa. Maybe some sort of float plane shuttleā€¦

The Spruce Moose

1 Like