Baseball Miscellany

From the criminal Complaint:

The whole document is a pretty crazy read.

I donā€™t see how a guy couldnā€™t possibly know that someone was stealing so much money from you to gamble. Such a crazy situation.

Itā€™s difficult to believe, but the details set forth in the Complaint make it easier to understand. That account was just where Shoheiā€™s MLB salary was deposited. Shohei has many revenue streams, and it has been reported that his salary was a relatively small portion of his total income. Other bank/investment accounts were managed by professionals, and he would just get periodic updates of his consolidated financial condition (minus the one account that Ippei fraudulently controlled). And none of those professionals spoke Japanese, so Ippei was always present in those meetings to ā€œtranslateā€. It appears that Shohei never understood that those updates did not include the subject accountā€¦ and Ippei spun a web of lies to keep everyone in the dark. Allegedly, of course.

1 Like

Itā€™s indeed remarkable. But thereā€™s still no explanation as to how a bookie lets a dude with a low six figure salary get tens of millions in the hole.

Well, if Ippei told the bookie about this under-the-radar ā€œbank accountā€, I can kind of see letting him have a long leash.

1 Like

They usually have such a strong adherence to ethical practices.

4 Likes

There are apparently texts of Ippei telling the bookie that he was stealing money from Ohtani to make the bets

4 Likes

Thatā€™s one way to get a decent line of credit from a bookie.

My Dodger hate has me convinced that Ohtani was involved. Zero proof but ā€œthe hate is strong with this one.ā€

It certainly beggars belief, but the holes in the story seem to be filling up. Also, fuck the Dodgers but Ohtani is a badass and I would hate for his amazing story to end with venality.

6 Likes

That exchange makes it pretty clear the bookies thought that Ippei was placing bets on Ohtaniā€™s behalf. I imagine the wire transfers showed the name of the originating account holder.

1 Like

Yes fuck the Dodgers 10000000%

Also Ohtani betting on baseball affects more than just Ohtani and the Dodgers. Itā€™s a black mark for baseball and harms it going forward. I want the Dodgers to fail but not at the expense of the sport that I hold so dearly

3 Likes

I think weā€™re all forgetting that the Houston Astros baseball club was the most reprehensible, heinous, evil, malignant, callous, malicious, malevolent, conniving, deceitful, egregious, awful cheaters in the annals of human history, thanks to rob fucking manfred, so Iā€™m sure the pure as the lily white snow dojers and their current issue with Shohei are merely a misunderstanding.

Fuck the dojers and I hope they have major egg on their face over this.

2 Likes

Iā€™m normally not a conspiracy theorist but this seems so conveniently reverse-engineered to make Ohtani spotless.

2 Likes

True, but unlike most conspiracy theories, this one seems plausible.

1 Like

Iā€™d accept that with an MLB investigation, but I donā€™t think the feds are interested in helping Ohtani

3 Likes

Ohtani was on the grassy knoll passing out hundreds of fake ballots

Wake up sheeple

4 Likes

This is where Iā€™m at. Why would the feds care about keeping Ohtani clean?

2 Likes