Baseball Miscellany

Ask Greg Maddux?

I think Framber is an example of a guy who can pitch to contact when he wants. Blanco showed the other night you can get guys out changing speeds. It’s not easy, no,but then neither is throwing 100 mph.

1 Like

Maddux was exceptional. He was also 20 years ago.

So you’re suggesting he couldn’t get out today’s hitters?

Framber can also push it up into high 90s. I hope he isn’t taxed by the clock. But definitely a lefty with a vicious curve has a step up.

I’m suggesting he wouldn’t be the same Maddux today as he was then.

Sure. Most pitchers can today. But he’s not a max effort every pitch kind of guy b

Frankly, I think he’d be better against today’s hitters.

Because peak Maddux was challenging hitters who were more balanced and looking to avoid strikeouts?

I think some of that, yes. This max effort “true outcome” mentality works both ways

I appreciate that, and I think a pitcher with his command would be able to accommodate to any era, but I wonder if the tightening of the strike zone and the increased capacities of batters have largely nullified the Maddux-style advantage.

Who are the pitchers now who are following the Maddux path?

Who are the pitchers who did it before him?

Well none are following that path because they buy into this idea that they have to strike everyone out. It’s a philosophical change, not a physical inability.

Teams are teaching that philosophy. I remember when Nolan Ryan was trying to get the Rangers to go against the general thinking about pitchers going deeper into games.

Fucking Altuve…

Yes, it’s a philosophy thing. I don’t think it’s because hitters would be too good for Maddux. Just a change in approach.

Not to muddy the discussion too much, but don’t forget that MLB’s incentivization of the longball includes juicing the ball.

A reminder that Verlander pitches for Sugar Land today and if you have MLBTV you can watch it at 2pm central.

Angels making Boston look like world-beaters. I wonder when Trout starts demanding a trade.

4 years ago?

Absolutely. Pitchers have to become pitchers again and not throwers. Very few pitchers have elite command in today’s game.

Also, you are giving hitters as a whole too much credit. Some have elite plate discipline, but many do not.

Strikeout rates definitely support this statement.