Baseball Miscellany

I hope Cashman gets a contract extension.

5 Likes

Foregone conclusion, but the owners unanimously approved the A’s relocation to Las Vegas this morning. They’ll still be in Oakland for a couple more years, since their lease at the Coliseum runs through 2024 and their new Vegas stadium isn’t scheduled to open until 2028. For ‘25 through ‘27 they may be a bit of a road show with games in San Francisco and the existing Vegas AAA stadium, among other options.

The fact that the owners are perfectly fine with this is just example number 6 billion why being good at making money doesn’t mean you’re smart at all.

6 Likes

The Athletics owner is optimizing for league-sharing revenue and nothing else.

He’s operating a real estate development with an incidental team attached.

2 Likes

See also: Rays, Tampa Bay.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree but still, there are worse things than being dumb and rich.

This looks fun
https://x.com/RoFlo/status/1725242934612611496?s=20

2 Likes

The details of the makeup inning are hilarious too.

Holy shit Billy Martin was such a weasel.

1 Like

Shildt officially gets the reins in San Diego.

2 Likes

Ausmus has been hired as NYY’s bench coach. I’m cackling.

5 Likes

I like this news:

2 Likes

I’ll leave this here for lack of a better spot.

I’ve grown tired of Costas over the years, especially his sanctimonious baseball coverage. But he certainly had a harder-edged father than I would have thought. Anyway here’s an interesting bit of perspective:

A day late, but an homage to the finest professional baseball club ever.

Luv ya Orange.

Let’s go Astros.

5 Likes

Rusty Staub in that photo.

This could also be cross referenced to the Deadpool thread.

I am so sad about this, but I have been expecting its demise for several years. Shortly after the inaugural issue, my dad bought me a subscription, and I bought Mark one to continue the tradition. The major changes to the magazine’s format caused me to bail a couple of years ago. Losing this magazine, when it was a weekly, is like losing a close friend.

9 Likes

Felt the same way about Sport Magazine which I subscribed to from 1969-2000. This is worse because this magazine was the pulse of everything sports for so many years. Iconic.

I felt that way when Creem folded back in '89. I have subscribed SI off and on over the years. Last time was after the Astros won the 2017 World Series.

1 Like

The Giants are giving away Mickey Mouse ears when they host the Dodgers on June 30

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1748040974712910148

Not 100% sure the reason behind this, but I love it.

1 Like