Baseball Miscellany

Surely they’re smarter than that.

For some reason, Melvin is considered this managerial genius. I’m not sure why.

Well, sure, look at what he managed to accomplish with that ragtag group in SD. Not just anyone could do that.

2 Likes

He’s parlayed a couple of nice seasons in Oakland into a career. Not bad work if you can get it.

1 Like

Didn’t the Giants steal a manager from the Padres several years ago?

Yep. Won them three World Series titles. I’m not sure BoMel has that kind of managerial acumen, however. Nor do they have that kind of pitching.

I guess we’ll find out. Saw on MLBTR that they’ve decided to hire Melvin and will announce it after the NLCS.

This may have been talked about somewhere and I missed it, but this Yogi Berra doc is hitting Netflix soon

1 Like

The ‘86 Astros team was my favorite growing up, and I always thought it was cool seeing Yogi on the coaching staff in an Astros rainbow guts uni.

Thanks for posting this.
Can’t wait to watch.

4 Likes

This is the oldest/first Astros game program I still have from when I was a kid. Always loved this photo.

10 Likes

That is GR8.

Biggio is 12 in this pic.

2 Likes

The Athletic with the managerial candidate overview

1 Like

Just Rome’s speculation, not based on any apparent knowledge of the club’s thinking:

• Brad Ausmus
  • Craig Counsell
  • Joe Espada
  • Mark Kotsay
  • Rodney Linares
  • Omar Lopez
  • Joe Maddon
  • Don Mattingly
  • Buck Showalter
  • Will Venable
  • Eric Young
  • Walt Fucking Weiss

Only a few of those names make me want to vomit.

1 Like

Please not Ausmus, Maddon, or Showalter. Pretty fucking please.

What about Mike Schildt? Cardinal followers seem to speak highly of him, and he’s on the top of the Padres’ list.

5 Likes

On a side note…I did not know until recently that Joe Espada and Orioles’ manager Brandon Hyde are in-laws. Espada’s and Hyde’s wives are sisters.

I don’t think I could stand to look at Walt Weiss in an Astro jersey.

I hope they give Espada a shot.

6 Likes

Definitely can’t hold getting fired by the Cardinals against him. He just didn’t follow along perfectly with what with what their FO wanted. What they apparently wanted Oli Marmol, and he’s an asshole who doesn’t manage very well, or very much it seems.

2 Likes

Shildt seems like an interesting, thoughtful guy. I’d definitely want to interview him if I were involved in the search. The big question for me is how he’d align with organizational philosophy—apparently his resistance to increasing the use of analytics for game prep was one of the reasons the Cards let him go. And the Cards haven’t really been one of the more cutting-edge organizations in that area lately, so he may not square with the Astros philosophy either.

And to Doyce’s point, it really does seem like the big problem with him in St. Louis is that he isn’t a huge asshole.

Yeah, don’t know about Schildt’s philosophy on analytics, but he appears to be a smart “baseball man”. Perhaps that’s not what the Astros want, but cursory review of him seems to be that he’s a good manager. Just a name that I’ve seen, and I know other teams are interested in him as well.

1 Like

Hiring an alpha redass like Showalter would be an absolute nightmare with this roster.

10 Likes