Baseball Miscellany

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-news-shohei-ohtani-tears-ucl-done-pitching-for-the-season

Terrible news for Ohtani.

1 Like

Saw this on X (née Twitter) earlier today.

Ronald Acuna’s splits

Home: .333 BA, 14 HR, 29 of 34 SB, 37 RBI
Away: .333 BA, 14 HR, 29 of 34 SB, 37 RBI

1 Like

That would seem to be nearly statistically impossible given the sample size. If true, I wonder what the probability is for something like that. A bunch of zeros followed by a very small number.

He has 6 more home games than away games, and one more CS at home than away, but it’s amazingly consistent. He has 85 hits at home and 84 on the road. The biggest difference is his 42 walks at home versus only 26 on the road. An explanation for that discrepancy given the broad consistency of his other numbers doesn’t jump out to me.

Khris Davis once hit .247 4 straight years

1 Like

If the rest of the ATL offense wasn’t so potent I’d think it not insane to suggest that he is more likely to be pitched around in situations where his bat can win a game in one stroke. But I don’t know. I wonder how many IBBs he’s had at home vs. on the road—not that that would tell the whole story.

With the White Sox cleaning house, I didn’t realize they hadn’t won a postseason series since the 2005 WS

Too. Soon.

4 Likes

An example of their potency - The Braves have 5 of the top 16 Homerun leaders in MLB.
2 - Olsen -43
9 - Riley - 29
T12 - Ozuna - 28
T12 - Albies - 28
T12 - Acuna - 28
Then they have two more tied at 44 with 20 home runs - Rosario & Murphy. The other two starters have 14 and 11.

They are pretty impressive on offense.

1 Like

They’re threatening the all-time team home run record, set in 2019. Except this year doesn’t have the 2019 crazy ball. Their offense is unreal.

1 Like

Many years ago Sports Illustrated ran a cover for the start of the college basketball season with some UNC guy on it (Mike O’Koren?), alongside the average height, weight, ppg, and rpg (or some combo like that) for all players (or maybe starters, whatever) from the previous year. O’Koren’s numbers were exactly the same as those overall averages. It was amazing.

The Astros won’t come close to the WS but the Braves would sweep them without breaking a sweat.

The Astros might’ve swept the Braves in ‘21 You never know what’ll happen.

Any interest, Zone Dwellers, in a “Predictions” thread?

4 Likes

That sounds like fun.

2 Likes

Yep

1 Like

Curaçao beats Taipei, will face the winner of Cali and Texas in the LLWS final.

It was nice to watch some good fundamental baseball for a change. Looking forward to the next game, Go Needville!

Wow. After watching Taipei a couple of times, I was convinced that they would steamroll their way to the title.

1 Like

Holy Fuck

De la Cruz for the Reds just went full Vlad on a relay throw to the plate
caught it, wheeled around and threw a 99+ strike to the catcher, runner had no chance

1 Like

That guy is a remarkable collection of skills.

2 Likes