Baseball Miscellany

That name has now been filed away, or at least MarkR will keep tabs on him

That makes a bit more sense, thanks for the context.

Mark keeps all the umpires on their toes. I wonder what Rosenbergā€™s history isā€¦has he had a quick temper in the past?

1 Like

Iā€™d never heard of him before. B-R says he umped his first MLB game in August of 2020

I donā€™t know anything about him, which means heā€™s probably somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Lindsey is on itā€¦

Pitch Clock Violation Leads to Realmutoā€™s Ejection for Pulling Catcher Mitt Back From Umpireā€™s Hand - YouTube

After this breakdown, it appears Realmuto didnā€™t realize that the ump had already thrown Kimbrel a new ball, and pulled his mitt back thinking ā€œah, ok donā€™t need another oneā€. Ump gets his knickers in a twist. Itā€™s still pretty funny.

1 Like

There is absolutely nothing funny about the outrageous power trip MLB umpires are on.

4 Likes

I like umps to have the emotional stability of one of Joe Pesciā€™s characters.

ā€œYou put my money to sleep Iā€™ll put your brain to sleepā€

Randy Rosenberg in action. Also, fuck Tony.

Jomboy does the requisite lip-reading to illustrate the absurdity

Very cute.

6 Likes

Huge news for MiLB players. Eager to see what the contract looks like. No reason to think it wonā€™t be ratified quickly.

Edit: Passan has the $$. Wonder if there are any lodging provisions.

4 Likes

One big win for the league: 15 more roster spots per organization are on the chopping block, following the contraction of several leagues in the last couple years.

Meanwhile, earlier free agency for college players (and the Frambers and Javiers out there) if they donā€™t make the bigs:

And finally, housing being covered, as reported by the guy most responsible for the MiLB unionization push:

Broshuis has been working on this for years. What a day for him and for all minor leaguers.

9 Likes

When the Space Cowboys were the Skeeters in the Atlantic League they used to have requests on their site for sponsor families that could give a player a place to live during the season. Pretty pathetic they couldnā€™t pay a guy enough to rent an apartment. Great news for the minor league guys (although I suspect it doesnā€™t apply to independent leagues like the Atlantic).

Players lived in fansā€™ homes in the early of the AA Round Rock Express.

Judge: 1AB, 1HR

Weā€™ll hear about nothing else for the rest of the day. At least until Ohtani bats.

2 Likes

Gotta get those guys their attention during the regular season, for obvious reasons.

6 Likes