Baseball Miscellany

I’m a big fan of the clock. The rule changes don’t bother me. Just the advertising.

Actually the shift ban bothers me, but I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

The most bothersome thing about the shift ban to me is the way its being marketed.

Namely, 'fans want to see more balls in play, banning the shift with help that."

No, it won’t.

Disincentivizing the true outcomes approach will result in more balls in play.

The ad patches do not bother me at all. The pitch clock in the clips I saw made everyone seem frenetic; that is NOT baseball. I am more than ok with no shifts, and I think the big bases look cartoonish.

I read an intense crackdown on “sticky stuff” is coming. I hope Framber is not a user.

I take it you’re not a Yakult Swallows fan? So many different sports leagues around the world have been doing this for years and it’s not a big deal. You’ll forget it before you know it.

1 Like

Dang, silly me. I thought a ground ball into the shift was a ball in play.

1 Like

Reports from the minors last year were that it took the players a few weeks to get comfortable with it, then it became totally natural. I hope it’s the same in MLB.

Heard Theo Epstein on the radio the other day discussing this. It sounds like all parties are indeed expecting the first 3-4 weeks to be interesting while everyone adjusts. While no one wants a bases loaded game in the 9th decided on a pitch clock violation, everyone knows that it’s possible and are prepared for that. If I remember correctly, I think he said that after the first 3-4 weeks in the minors, the number of pitch violations or batter violations was about 1.5 per game which seems very insignificant to me.

Don’t assume I’m like you.

It’s the same “crackdown” that they’ve had for a couple of years, but now it’s another “point of emphasis” for the umps this season. New thing: the umps can now go out in the middle of an inning and check the pitcher on the mound (how/why/who determines this?), not just when he comes off the field.

Yep, I read that article too.

They all are.

MLB seems convinced that the only way forward is offense, offense, offense.

Last year was the lowest batting average since 68. They changed the rules after that one, too.

1 Like

MLB isn’t interested in hits, they’re interested in runs. They’d much rather have two strike outs, two walks and a HR than five singles.

2 Likes

I think that is less true now than it was a few years ago.

2 Likes

I think guys will adapt quick and this won’t be an issue.

4 Likes

And the players are 100% at fault for it coming to this, they are like toddlers. Get in the box and hit, nobody wants to see you dicking around.

8 Likes

That and the relievers who take all day to collect themselves to throw another max effort fastball.

1 Like

That too! I’m looking forward to people crying over this. Once the players adapt and it’s an afterthought the game will be better

Braves game ended with 2 out, runners on in a 1 run game with the HPU calling strike 3 on ball 4 because the batter wasn’t looking at the pitcher, or something like that