Baseball Miscellany

Nightengale:

Bob Nightengale wrote this about Carlos Beltran and the Hall of Fame recently:

But we’re really going to ignore all of that and admonish him for participating in the Astros’ sign-stealing scandal.
Really?
Are we going to do the same with everyone who played for the Red Sox and Yankees during those years, too, when they were fined and disciplined for the illegal use of Apple Watches and dugout phones to relay signs?
Should we hold that against future Hall of Famer Justin Verlander, who obviously didn’t benefit from the sign stealing as a pitcher, but didn’t tell his teammates to stop it?
Enough already.
We’re not talking about performance-enhancing drugs here. Sign stealing has been going on for the past 100 years. There are teams who have used hidden cameras for years. Team employees flashed signs from outfield seats and scoreboards.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Interesting to note that some 7 months later Satch would pitch in an actual MLB game at the age of 59 for the Kansas City A’s. It was a Charlie Finley publicity stunt obviously but he held the Red Sox scoreless over 3 innings and allowed just the lone hit—a double by Yaz.

4 Likes

His secret? “Avoid running at all times.”

Helluva way to pass the time Country Joe.

Really interesting guy…

4 Likes

My Alma Mater - nice Walt

Since uniform ads were inevitable anyway, I’ll just say it could be a lot worse.

1 Like

It’s still fucking hideous.

Could we at least get orange and dark blue swish thingies?

3 Likes

Thanks, I hate it.

2 Likes

That’s like saying “I was poked in the eye with a sharp stick covered in dog shit, but hey, they could have dipped it in lemon juice too”.

1 Like

I’m disappointed that Chico’s Bail Bonds got outbid.

6 Likes

Just like grandpa said: when life gives you lemons, don’t squeeze the juice into your shit-filled eye wound.

2 Likes

I was hoping for Hi Lo Auto Parts. Every time an Astro got on base, the patch would play the Jose Cruz commercial.

1 Like

I will admit it could be worse. It could have a fucking Gallery Furniture patch.

9 Likes

Would also have accepted Casa Olé.

1 Like
1 Like

Maybe putting their logo on the jersey’s is the company’s way of fighting this but honestly you say “oxy” i finish it with “contin”

3 Likes

This sucks. Capitalism needs competition.

3 Likes

I don’t see the word “exclusive” anywhere in the official press release.