Baseball Miscellany

You mean I got my tinfoil hat out for nothing?

2 Likes

It looks very snazzy. A New Years Eve accoutrement?

3 Likes

All i was getting at is you know more about MLB umps than anyone else i know

I will do a little poking around, but I haven’t see anything about it so far.

Now don’t go and crash the Amazon website getting your pre-orders in

Baseball’s most outspoken fireballer brings the high heat—calling out the hacks, cheats, and ridiculous rules that have tarnished the game—and pitches a-plus stuff on how to make baseball pure, fun, and damn near perfect.

Baseball has an image problem. The chorus of nonbelievers gets louder every year, and the Major Leagues have made an art of tuning them out. Enter Joe Kelly: a walking, talking, fast-ball-throwing embodiment of why baseball matters. He and his All-Star team of athletes and celebrities have some things to say about what’s gone wrong with our once great game and how to fix it.

A Damn Near Perfect Game is the loudest insider’s exposĂ© of the laws and culture of Major League Baseball since Jim Bouton’s classic Ball Four. From Kelly’s perspective as a two-time World Series champion and baseball’s most memeable player according to ESPN, he takes readers on a house-cleaning tour of the clubhouse, the field of play, the bullpen, the front office, the commissioner’s office, and a ballplayer’s restricted life off the field. Kelly has something to say about baseball’s rule changes (pitch clocks, limiting defensive shifts, the designated hitter); hacks (overused analytics, sign-stealing); stale promotion to new fans; and encouraging players’ emotions (let them fight, bat-flip, and talk sh*t!). Plus, he details how he aired his complaints in an illuminating meeting with commissioner Rob Manfred.

And to show what happens when baseball has some piss and vinegar, Kelly gives the inside scoop on his legendary exploits—starting a bench-clearing brawl with the Yankees’ Tyler Austin, his famous “pouty face” scene when calling out the notorious sign-stealing Houston Astros, and wearing a mariachi jacket to visit the White House with his World Series champion LA Dodgers.

You know what they say: those who can, pitch; those who can’t, bitch.

1 Like

No thanks.

Ugh. Burn ‘em all.

Let me try this: “my daughter’s finger painting of the family is the finest portrait since the Mona Lisa”

Fuck Joe Kelly.

I just wrote and half-erased and re-wrote and re-erased a minor paragraph about how great it would be if he actually proved himself an interesting person. But then you throw at a player’s head and mock him.

Fuck Joe Kelly.

Also fuck the Dodgers for not releasing him the moment he did that. Fuck the Astros too, and any other team, for not releasing someone who did that shit the moment they did it.

7 Likes

Unless it’s cheaper than a 6 pack of two-ply, no thanks.

2 Likes

Joe Kelly toilet paper: can’t take shit and collapses under the slightest pressure

2 Likes

Damn, i just spent my Christmas money on pruning shears!!

1 Like

Heretic!

You can borrow my lighter.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’m not sure Koufax isn’t the best I ever saw.
And, seemingly, an absolute gentleman.

Just posting this to say how grateful I am for the quality of discussion on this forum compared to other Astros fan sites.

1 Like

People already think I’m a bad driver, should I just start running over pedestrians?

2 Likes

People think I’m dumb, should I start sniffing glue?

What - and I can’t stress this enough - the fuck

3 Likes