Baseball Miscellany

I know I had Mays over Bo, but Bo-Ozzie was an unfair first rounder.

1 Like

That is unbelievably grotesque that the Jeter play is included and not say this one from Jim Edmonds…

It is the official position of OWA and all is subsidiaries that any catch by Jim Edmonds is overrated due to embellishment by the aforementioned outfielder despite any evidence that might indicate outherwise.

6 Likes

No fair. You are the only one here that actually saw it.

1 Like

Actually, I did.

ETA: After reflection, not sure I did. The game was Wednesday, Sept 29, 1954, during the day. I had just turned 9 and was at school. Many of our teachers in those halcyon days let us listen to the WS on the radio, but there would not have been TV. I watched some of that WS in Port Arthur at my Grandpa Raup’s house, but that was on a weekend. My grandfather was rooting for the Giants, and I was rooting for the Indians. Boy, did he ever rub it in.

Checking the records of that WS, I likely watched Game 4 with my grandfather on Sat Oct 2. I guess I only saw replays of The Catch.

2 Likes

Jim Edmonds rebroadcasts and disseminates without express written authorization of the commissioner of baseball.

That’s nice and all, but it’s no Berkman on the hill

My all time favorite defensive play:

“Ground ball, right side, could do it …”

4 Likes

Wynton Bernard made his MLB debut for the Rockies last night. He was drafted in 2012 in the 35th round out of Niagara University. He has been in the Padres, Tigers, Cubs and Colorado organizations. He has played in Venezuela, Australia, and Mexico. He played two seasons in indy ball for Sugar Land. Someone videoed him facetiming his mother telling her he made it to the majors (allergy/dust alert).

Oh and he went 1 for 3 last night with a stolen base.

8 Likes

I was just reading about him. What a story!

1 Like

So fucking cool. Dude became the oldest player to have a hit and steal in a debut since 1907. I teared up a bit watching that video last night, my wife was a blubbering mess

5 Likes

And they almost took the hit from him! Here’s the play—the out call was overturned.

Good grief, who was the ump? He was safe by a lot.

It was probably one of the “rookies have to pay their dues” type.

Thank you so very much for posting this.
Beautiful.

Fucking onions,

2 Likes

If so, he should be fired. Runners are safe or out regardless of veteran or rookie status.

Never chalk up to malice what can rightfully be attributed to incompetence, or something like that

2 Likes

That was Alex Tosi.

You may remember him from the most recent multi-pitcher no hitter against the Yankees. He was behind the plate.

Is he usually good or bad? He missed that one badly.

He ranks pretty highly balls and strikes. I have no idea how to find consistency on the basepaths though.

1 Like