Baseball Miscellany

Beautiful!

Me, seeing Sale is injured again: “everyone was right about his body and mechanics”

Me, seeing how he was injured: /endlesslaughing.gif

1 Like
1 Like

My first cousin once removed is pitching in Japan this year. His year got off to a rough start - delayed by Covid protocols so he missed some of pre season training and then blew two saves to start the year and was not just removed from the closer role, but sent to the minors -“the second army” - to work some things out.

He has been back up for a few weeks and got the chance to get the save earlier this week and did well and got the save. Someone made a documentary style redemption video of his journey. Which has a very overly dramatic sound track. But in the English translation of the video the term for closer is Guardian Deity. If I was a closer, I would prefer that title.

Ryan Presley - Guardian Deity of the Houston Astros. That is a solid title.

7 Likes

And thus is born another OWA nickname.

1 Like

Love Guardian Deity. I’ll add that to my resume.

2 Likes

That is so much better than Central Gardener

1 Like

I think they complement each other nicely, in a sort of heavens and Eden way.

3 Likes

Trail runner has to be a catcher, right?

1 Like

I have always thought that web gems should take batter running speed into account. Exclude anything with most catchers running.

Impressive for a 32 round draft pick (pick 965) out of Gardner Webb. Granted he does strike out 35% of the time but last night he hit 4 HR for the HR cycle

1 Like

Maybe you remember the Korean closer on the Cardinals a few years ago was nicknamed “Final Boss” and in Korea they also called him “Stone Buddha”. I always liked the Korean word for fielder because it’s basically “not a pitcher”.

1 Like

They should have a mlb S. Korea day. It could be great fun. Altuve up who is not a pitcher. Alavarez up who is not a pitcher. Would make a great drinking game. Every time the announcer says who is not a pitcher drink!:slight_smile:

MLB.com is doing a bracket for the “greatest defensive play ever”.

If any of you vote for Jeter, I will hunt you down.

3 Likes

I nominate Bagwell (with a bum shoulder) shoveling the cutoff to Biggio who threw out some hapless Brewer at the plate.

1 Like

Willie Mays.

2 Likes

1954 WS. Contest over.

That’s who I voted for. But there is no way Jeter doesn’t win this in a landslide.

The three best plays were in the bottom half of the bracket. Bo, Mays & Ozzie. Wise was impressive because of the impact of it but the other three home run robberies could be replaced by other good catches.

I think Bo beats Jeter in voting.