Astros @ Yankees, 8/5/2023

Luis Vizcaino.

A few I don’t mind after they came to the Astros. Jim Deshaies comes to mind also.

Favorite memory of O’Neill was when he was with the Reds and kicked the ball back into the infield.

1 Like

Jose Viscaino

1 Like

Had no idea that his first 2 MLB games were with the Yankees

Traded for Joe Niekro.

Andy Stankiewicz?

I remember Joe wanted to go yo Yankees to pitch with Phil.

Yankees got Joe then jettisoned Phil.

Thats class right there.

Dusty in the post game…didn’t pinch hit for Maldy because he wanted him in the game. At the time it was 2-1, and they had the top of the order due up. He thought his defensive value was too much to give up in a tight game.

That’s who I’m thinking of but he didn’t play for the Yanks. Im confused.

If the Astros don’t score, a zero in the 8th or 30 runs in the 8th do not matter

He got to pitch with his brother for 21 days

Astros got him from the Yanks as a FA before 2001

I get that. But relying on Maldy to be your big run producer is a no win situation. It should not come to that. This game was lost, not because Maldy didn’t homer in the 8th.

You’re right, I missed that. Could be a not enough taint thing.

1 Like

I understand why he wanted to keep Maldy in this game, but wonder if he would have played it differently in a post season game.

Perhaps. But your top five hitters were 1 for 16 with 10 strikeouts. That was the ball game.

1 Like

Game story: 2 hits.

A solo shot and a pop up in shallow right.

The offense has been the biggest problem all season, and this type of game is exactly why this team won’t go far in the postseason.

2 hits against a mediocre pitcher his first game back from a long IL stint and a decent bullpen.

Fucking. Pathetic.

The rest of the lineup absolutely shit the bed, but letting Maldy hit there conceeds one of the 5 remaining outs you have to work with, and with a runner on base. That’s bad process, even if Maldy hit one 500 feet and we win the game, it was a bad decision.