Astros @ Mariners, July 27, 2021

Fuck off with that. If you can’t keep track of where you are midair you’re risking a life threatening injury.

If you can’t compete, don’t fucking go. There are plenty of women who’d have loved that opportunity.

She was fine to compete in qualifying. Shit comes up.

Unfortunately, that is not how she explained it. She blamed the pressure on her to win. Since she is the best in the world, who knew?

Btw… if she had continued to compete the way she did on the vault, they wouldn’t have come close to medaling.

She is the best in the world. And I’m no gymnast judge, but she’s the best I’ve ever seen. But don’t take a spot from another girl them say “yeah, don’t feel up to it”. Don’t bail on your teammates.

1 Like

She basically earned a 0.00 on every apparatus for her team. They only count the top three, so even if she screwed up every apparatus, they still take the scores from the other three. It’s not like she could have dragged down the team score any more than she did by quitting. She left her teammates out in the cold.

2 Likes

You fundamentally misunderstand. Only three of the four can compete on any apparatus. And all three scores are kept. The fourth member on each apparatus (Child’s on beam and bar, Li on floor) took her place.

For example: her vault earned the second lowest score of any vault including qualifying. If it worked the way you said, her score would have been dropped.

Fair enough. Still, it forced other girls to compete what they hadn’t planned on. And medaling is not the issue. She took a spot from someone then bailed. Rubs me the wrong way.

I’ll go to bed now

In fact, she put the team first - NBC showed her before she made the decision telling her teammates “I’m not going to do something stupid and cost us a medal.” She knew she couldn’t go. If she had tried to push through it” there’s no way they get near the podium.

She is also getting the sexual abuse she and others suffered brought up so maybe everyone can stop pretending that gymnastics and getting gold is the only thing that could possibly matter.

Especially since many (not necessarily folks here) who “care” only do so every 4 years.

1 Like

I don’t watch the Olympics, just don’t care much for it. But from what I have read… if a man had done what she did and gave the reasoning she gave… he would be ostracized

1 Like

Meanwhile, Astros up 7-2 in the fifth with men on 1st and 2nd, one out, Diaz up.

Diaz singles through the left side to make it 8-2

And one more Olympic note…Katie Ladecky smoked the field in the 1500m. That has to an exhausting race.

1 Like

So nice to have Diaz back

1 Like

And she did that after swimming a different race the same night!!

I again propose that every Olympic event should pull one entrant randomly from the crowd just to show what athletic freaks these people all are.

2 Likes

The judo, boxing, taekwondo, etc would be awesome.

“Oh sure, I could fence.”

/dies