Astros @ Mariners, April 17

Toro frigging torches us

The Robel Cinderella story is going pumpkin on us.

1 Like

Well…poop. Couple of hard hit balls for squat.

Somebody needs to tell Bregman that’s not how you hit into a DP with a man on second.

Man, the world just hates Kyle Tucker.

These HPU’s are either incompetent or something worse.

Never ascribe malevolence when simple incompetence is equally likely.

1 Like

Hard for me to think it is malevolence. I cannot imagine the umpires care much about the sign stealing brouhaha, and it is 2022, five years down the road. Why pick on Tucker if the issue is the dastardly 2017 Astros? I vote for massive, lack of accountability incompetence.

3 Likes

Sliders away called for strikes aren’t a conspiracy.

They’re just easy for HPUs to misjudge.

1 Like

I agree but they sure are trending to be more incompetent when calling the Astros.

That is subtly implying it is intentional, which I do not believe.

Not implying anything that the numbers don’t say. A trend is simply a trend. That’s all. I’m not suggesting anything other than the reality of the results. I do not think the Umpires have it out for the Astros. But according to at least one way of reckoning, they have been the most inaccurate at calling the Astros when compared with every other team in MLB.

2 Likes

I also don’t believe the umps are after the Astros either.

I genuinely believe they are honestly trying to do their best and it’s simply human limitation to expect better results.

The Astros are the best team in baseball at taking close “pitchers pitches” that are balls and can’t hit into a positive outcome.

These are the same pitches that umps think are strikes.

Other teams swing at them so they don’t show up in the ump scorecard.

So the Astros need to ( and by extension we need to):

1. live with it

2. start swinging at these " pitchers pitches"

3. wait for robo umps.

I don’t see another option.

2 Likes

That’s a good point that there’s some self-selection here: teams that are willing to take more close pitches are going to have a larger absolute number of the calls go against them.

…and the Astros should not change that approach. That is what Ted Williams would say so I said it for him.

5 Likes

The Splinter’s cryogenically frozen head can speak for itself.

Actually, it probably can’t.

1 Like

I agree they should not change.

I was simply listed the only possibilities.

I hope the offense comes around soon. Hitters tend to change even if it’s not intentional when the balls are not falling for in for them

This was the longest road trip of the season for the good guys, they had some bad breaks, there was a shortened spring training, Yordan is out, Odo Odo’d, Altuve is well, I’m not sure what Jose is doing, yes, there were some lousy HPU calls, the guys looked a bit tired, so coming back to the friendly confines of The Juice Box should help the good guys out immensely.

As much as I’m a pessimist, there’s mucho beisbol to be played, so fangers crossed; let’s beat that glorified AAA franchise from Anaheim (or Orange, or Chino Hills, or LA, or wherever the hell they’re from) tonight.