Astros @ Guardians, 6/09/2023

Seth pitched admirably but he’s the 13th pitcher at the back of the bullpen for a reason.

When he is in, the team needs to step up and realize that he can’t do it alone.

But he did not pitch that well. He gave up 2 singles, 2 doubles, and 3 walks out of the 17 hitters he faced and did not have a clean inning.

Maybe thats the best that they can reasonably expect but I would not say he has no fault in the loss.

Dusty had no good choices, and hindsight is undefeated, but I would not have let him face a lineup a 2nd time. Especially with how ineffective he was.

I think I would have used France (4 days rest and is used to being used in relief from AAA) and then started Bielak Saturday, also on 4 days rest.

The only reason Martinez faced the lineup twice is because everyone else tripped over their dicks. As for Bielak and France, you don’t alter your starting rotation for one game in June, especially when it’s already in shambles from injury. This is 100% on everyone other than Martinez.

4 Likes

I agree there is nothing wrong with your viewpoint. Perfectly acceptable and big picture thinking.

However, in this particular case:

1. The team had just lost 3 games in a row after gething an early lead (now 4 in a row)

2. because of the 6 man rotation and the upcoming off day, you could alter the rotation without anyone needing to start on short rest.

I just think the fame had more importance than a typical game in June and there was reasonable alternative

For all our gnashing of teeth over the last 2 games, the division leaders have expanded their lead by zero games.

1 Like

Today is another day

Lets get this win

Two things:

Cleveland is a bad baseball team. This loss was embarrassing on all fronts, but you cannot a.) blame the last guy in the bullpen for going out there and eating innings to the best of his ability, or b.) waste your starting pitching for the rest of the series to try and win in June. In the playoffs, every bullet is available. In June, if you take it on the chin with your last man standing, so be it.

The real fucking goat here is Javier. Staked to a 4 run lead twice and he goes out there and shits himself in 5 innings. Fucking brutal.

Also, Laz Diaz is, as always, fucking deplorable behind the plate: https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1667540768683171841

1 Like

With all of the pitching injuries, Javier has to be a stopper. He has to give them 6 innings. And given five runs, he has to win the damn game.

3 Likes

Can’t do anything about yesterday.

Now I hope my opinion is proven wrong by France pitching 6+ strong innings and the Astros win a game that was never in doubt by a comfortable margin.

This is disingenuous at best. Both doubles allowed were in his 4th inning of work. 2 of the 3 walks were intentionally walking Jose Ramirez, the only actual walk he allowed was to Andres Gimenez and that walk setup the, should have been, game winning double play.

Eta: there is plenty of blame to go around for that debacle last night but I’ll hear none of it concerning Seth Martinez. He did what he could, he was just placed in an impossible situation

2 Likes

I concede the point.

Nobody else agrees with my opinion, thats fine. You have the same right to an opinion as me.

And I’m simply a fan with no experience or baseball background at all. Just try to have opinions based on that.

I disagree that I was disingenuous.

The fact that the 2 doubles occured in the final inning of work strengthens my argument that he should not have been out there. Though again I agree there were no good alternatives

Complaining without a viable alternative is the easiest argument to make.

2 Likes

Surely the Astros should have treated this June game as game 7 of the World Series and had Framber ride out of the bullpen on a white horse to save the day Gandolf the White style.

Hector Neris, Phil Maton and especially Seth Martinez pitched their asses off. Cristian Javier, Rafael Montero and Ryan Pressly shit the bed last night. Altuve not covering the second-base bag on a ball that should have been a double play to end the game in extra innings also was costly.

1 Like

I’ll say it was. He does stuff like this a lot more than he should.

1 Like

Never saw a good replay, but I remember the broadcast saying Altuve was playing deep and away from the bag and Pena basically beat him there, whether that’s by sloth or him thinking Pena was taking it and he pulled up I dunno but it sure didn’t work out.

At the risk of repeating myself: losing to opponents is one thing, but beating yourselves is unacceptable

2 Likes

Its all good.

We are all just fans trying to deal with a hurtful loss.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Go 'Stros

I do not think that is correct at all. It was clear to me Peña expected him to be there and was slow to the bag because Altuve was not there. By the time Peña got to the bag, the runner was on top of him. He had to jump and throw at the same time.

1 Like

Yeah, that was TK and Blummer said. That Altuve was playing deeper in the hole and shaded closer to first. Is that accurate? I don’t know, but that’s what they said.

1 Like

An overhead or HP or CF replay would have been great. We got none of those.