Astros @ Brewers, May 22, 2023

Imagine how good Dubón will be once he turns 14.

6 Likes

Listening to Blum podcast from a few days back. Said he was browsing Baseball Savant and that Jake Meyers was in the 90th% defensively. He said his jumps are ridiculous out there and that his sprint speed is also elite. I know Jake is fast but he’s such a big guy that sometimes his speed flies under the radar to some folks.

On the flip side, a good write up on Tucker’s defensive struggles:

The highlights for those without access:

Tucker admits he’s been less aggressive
Pettis quoted as saying Tucker is playing flat footed and getting bad jumps
Most statistical metrics have him as the worst defensive RF so far this season

I know defensive metrics are still a work in progress but this lines up with what my eyes tell me.

1 Like

I know it was discussed during the game yesterday, but I would like to highlight again how insane Jake’s catch was. I thought it was a tougher play than either of Chas’ notable catches this year and last. And of course I was certain he’d messed up his shoulder again.

2 Likes

For me, I was waiting on a play like that to confirm he is 100% back

Kinda like the first hit a WR takes after getting laid out by Ronnie Lott.

I don’t know what the Astros outfield is going to look like in 3 years but I think we will all be huge Jake fans by then.

P S. Can’t they find a helmet that stays on.

2 Likes

Dubon continuing his Jim from The Office vibes:

https://twitter.com/JuliaMorales/status/1660818057521143808

“Dusty! Mauricio put my bat in jello!”

1 Like

I’m happy to see Jake get his confidence at the plate and his swing back, but I’m fans of both Jake and Chas. Chas has made many very good defensive plays in centerfield, too. One in particular was instrumental in delivering a World Series championship for the Astros.

1 Like

Identity theft is not a joke, Mauricio!

1 Like

This is 100% true.

Its a shame that Chas and Jake are such similar players and on a team with Tucker and Alvarez reducing their potential roles.

Maybe not this year, but it feels like trading one of them away would be best for them as players, and depending on the return, best for the team too.

It feels like one of them could do 90% of what both accomplish if only one of them were on the team.

Shhhh…it wasn’t that long ago that Chas was on the DL. I agree with you in principal, but right now roster depth is a beautiful thing.

1 Like

Dusty pushed the right buttons yesterday, but I still don’t get why Julks is playing more than McCormick.

Did Chas kick Dusty’s dog?

Edit in-coming?

Julks isn’t playing more than McCormick.

Done!

One more

You are right. I just looked. It was Jake, not Chas that I was thinking of.

Total starts:
Jake 34
Julks 30
Chas 18.

But if you look at games all 3 were healthy and available:
Chas 18
Julks 12
Jake 10

I don’t see any scenario where Julks should get more starts than Jake.

Principal should, of course, be the primary edit.

1 Like

Us spelling and grammar Nazis think so, and I am worried about chuck’s tender sensibilities.

1 Like

Alt-write, please