Astros Baseball Media Wall of Fame

Jim Deshaies the other day, describing a very thin Cleveland reliever, did a Milo impression that made me laugh out loud. “Milo would say, if he were in the shower he’d have to turn sideways to get wet.”

1 Like

There were things I liked about Milo. I just wished that at least every couple of innings he’d tell me the score.

4 Likes

Most nights I would have settled for even a half-assed description of the action on the field. Ashby was never any help either.

1 Like

I used to go to a lot of night meetings, and there was nothing more frustrating than getting in the car and driving 45 minutes and still not knowing the score when I got home.

2 Likes

Who has time for PBP or score updates when there’s women in the booth to perv on?

1 Like

The Bill Mercer that did early Cowboys games? If that Bill Mercer…he was great doing football. Where did he work with Milo?

Yep, that Bill, and I got the wrong guy Bill hated working with. His story about a miserable year was 1974 with the White Sox, and he was paired with Harry Caray. Any comments he made to me about Milo did not involve working with him because he never did. Sorry, Milo! I blasphemed you in error. Bill did not say you were bad to work with!

Bill is a mentor to Mike Capps, and I met and worked with him a little the year I did color on RR Express radio. Bill is a sweet man, and one of my favorite experiences was driving him from Austin to his Dallas-area home and listening to his stories.

3 Likes

I’m surprised Mercer is still around…hasn’t done Cowboy games in decades. And no one has done them better. I can only imagine the angst in working with Carey. Thanks for the clarification Jim.

Mercer is still around at 90 something. He once did a bunch of Express games each year with Mike, but I think he has had to stop that now. He is a prince of a guy, and I am very fortunate to have become his friend.

1 Like

I believe Mercer also taught Sports Broadcasting at North Texas in Denton for many years.

You’ve been blessed to run in some pretty damn interesting circles, Jim.

Mercer did teach at NT for many years and mentors Craig Way who was one of his best students. Craig also is a great guy, btw. Mark Raup has a great story about Craig’s amazing memory.

I have been a lucky guy for sure.

1 Like

I swear I heard Craig Way doing radio on some March Madness highlights (non-UT, of course).

Love that guy.

You may have. Craig works all over the dial when he is not committed to UT.

I hope Mark tells his story. Craig has an incredible memory.

1 Like

His encyclopedic knowledge of Texas HS football borders on fetishistic.

2 Likes

Truly amazing. Knows the mascot for every HS in Texas.

1 Like

I can’t imagine how cool it would be to watch a sporting event with him and bullshit for 2+ hours.

Many years ago Craig and his then-wife came to a Christmas party at our house. His wife worked with my wife in Dallas. Sadly, she passed away not too many years after that as a young woman. Beth and I both worked with Craigs’ dad in Dallas in the 80s and we lived just a few blocks away in East Dallas. Craig comes from good stock.

Craig is engaged now. I think his fiancé is in HS athletics.

1 Like