Astros Baseball Media Wall of Fame

This is apropos to nothing because he was only in Houston one year, but I really liked Bob Prince doing Astros games. He told great stories, and perhaps his story-telling was not as popular with his bosses as it was with me.

“The Gunner” is credited with coining the phrase “a bloop and a blast”, among other things. His storytelling was legendary.

Footer should be in simply because she pioneered team social media. What every team does now, she was the first to do it.

2 Likes

I’m all for Alyson being included but for every reason other than the social media aspect. Twitter is like trying to dig a diamond out of a goat’s ass. 99% shit, 1% carbon.

When Footer made the transition from MLB.com’s Astros beat reporter to Astros social media director, I remember a lot of people here were like “WTF is this shit?”

Strong disagree. If you curate whom you follow, the signal to noise ratio is excellent. If you’re dumb enough to follow cranks like me, yes, goat shit.

1 Like

I’m shocked you’re still allowed to post on Twitter.

Oh I get suspended with some regularity

For lack of a better place to put this…

You may have heard that David Barron is retiring after 31 years with the Chron. His radio/tv column was one of the few reasons to read that paper’s sports coverage over the last 20 or so years. He also would step in occasionally to cover the Astros. He also has been long associated (40+ years) with Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine and will apparently continue to write for that publication as well as occasionally for the Chron.

His final column

1 Like

I missed this in the discussion back in November. Jim, I agree about the Gunner being entertaining. He was a hoot to listen to that one season. He used to say, “Well, there’s gonna be a double dip (DH) tomorrow.” “Okuhdoko” for ok and the best line, “That was one hellacious strike thrown by Tom Griffin.” Engineer Bob Green, told me once that he didn’t endear himself to his broadcast counterparts when he said (very often), “You guys have a good ball club here.” Poor guy never wanted to leave Pittsburgh.

1 Like

He was very entertaining and no doubt taking some time to view the Astros as “we.” He never got the chance.

1 Like

Last I checked he was still dead but the only Frick Award winner in Astros’ history would have been 99 years old today…

I met him once. No big deal to him for sure, but I was excited to meet him.

Well, there is also Milo. Perhaps you don’t consider him Astro enough.

No, I have burned his existence from my memory entirely.

1 Like

Unholy Toledo!

1 Like

That’s a blue star play on defense.

I never minded Milo as much as many folks around here did. Even named my dog “Wrangler” after his nickname for Dierker.

I did not start really disliking him until late in his career. My friend Bill Mercer worked with him and could not stand him.

He definitely hung on way too long, and was terrible at the end. But in his prime I didn’t mind him. Ive heard many say he was not enjoyable to work with.

1 Like