Astros at Orioles, 8/8/23

Watching the highlights now since I was out and about yesterday.

Calling Tucker’s drop a fucking hit is an absolute fucking joke. That ball hit him square in the glove, how the fuck could that possibly be a hit?

4 Likes

What’s the list of Stros who have signed early in the past couple of years?

This seems pertinent:

“This year more than any other,” Yankees pitching coach Matt Blake said, “you look up and you’re like, ‘How is that a hit?’”

That sentiment has been vocalized often by broadcasters throughout the season, but those in the announcing booth have not been the only ones to notice, according to interviews with players, coaches and managers, several of whom requested anonymity in order to speak freely about the situation. The voices formed a chorus, suggesting the scorers are less willing than ever to register a misplay in the field as an error.

“It’s become very lenient,” one manager said.

Another coach added: “It’s almost like guys now are like, ‘Well, if it’s not a routine ball, they’re getting hits.’”

https://twitter.com/stephenjnesbitt/status/1689260394605334529

I’m sure it’s nothing like Manfred declaring “you guys need to find more hits.”

2 Likes

This is excellent: https://twitter.com/LiveSCS/status/1689280464844906496

1 Like
4 Likes

Blum and TK were fantastic thru that AB, recognizing it was a battle.

And TKs call of the blast was great. So excited the words were piling up on themselves.

4 Likes

It got out faster than Ford could catch up.

I paused the highlight just as the ball landed and there are so many great little bits and pieces of what’s happening in the stands. Tons of fans with their hands on their heads in disbelief, a few Home Alone hands on cheeks, and a ton of just stunned “what the fuck just happened” looks.

8 Likes

I love his analytical segments.

2 Likes

That is great!

1 Like

Watching the replay and seeing how good that 0-1 splitter was I thought “thank goodness he could not repeat that”.

Yeah, his next attempt hit the grass at about 45 feet,

Blum’s analysis that Bautista didn’t trust that pitch after that bouncer and was going to ride or die with fastballs was spot on, and Tucker must have been thinking along the same lines.

2 Likes

It helped that Tucker was right on the one splitter that he saw as well. Had it timed up, just swung a touch above it.

2 Likes

When you throw 102, you ride or die with the fastball. Last night he died. That’s pretty rare though.

The 102 up/away he took and the 102 that was up but closer he fouled off: at the time he makes his decision there could not have been a lick of difference between them. But there was a difference and he chose correctly both times.

Just amazing the skill these guys have and the fine line between hero/zero.

2 Likes

Here’s a couple of pics for posterity:

Area where the ball landed.

Small section of Astros fans surrounded by O’s fans

3 Likes

Love the guy in the red shirt on the bottom right

Meyers being in the lineup was the most surprising part of the game. Two home runs and 6 rbis pretty much guarantees you a seat on Dusty’s bench.