Astros at Blue Jays, July 1, 2024

Leon may actually have some value now.

I really think he does, just not to the point where Iā€™d trade a good starting CF in the hopes that heā€™d fill his shoes on a team with postseason hopes.

I think Jim said Loperfido is the CF, and Leon becomes a backup. If that helps get Vlad, it is not bad.

Thank you for stepping up. Long overdue.

Leon as a backup seems ok to me.

Ok, 6 months ago I would have deserved that.

But I have been good about not mentioning him, and I think my expectations are more realistic now. And he has finally earned a shot IMO.

Still, I liked the response.

3 Likes

I thought your proposal was fine, fwiw.

1 Like

Just joshing you, of course. I also think Leon deserves a shotā€”Iā€™d like to see him on the roster starting over Hummel and probably Cabbage. Seems like a waste of an opportunity to see what he can do while Tucker is out.

I agree with much of what youā€™ve said here but trading Arrighetti, or any upper level SP(Blubaugh), is a non starter to me. The team has 4 healthy starters right now. Trading Arrighetti means you would have to aquire 2 SPs rather than 1, even with Verlander and Garcia coming back at some point. We basically have OF prospects + probably Chas to trade, if that doesnā€™t get it done, Iā€™m not doing it.

2 Likes

I know Vlad is the sexy potential trade target at 1B, but I keep thinking Josh Bell might be the fall back option. Switch hitter, decent track record of success in his career but struggling this season, and the Marlins are clearly sellers. He isnā€™t as good as Vlad but would cost a lot less.

If you want a gamble on a young guy to fix, Andrew Vaughn with the White Sox or Spencer Torkelson with the Tigers could be possibilities. @Idstrosfan has referenced Torkelson before.

Guerrero is at least having a good year. I wouldnā€™t want to give up three years of Meyers for him, but heā€™s a clear upgrade at the position. Bell is very talented but has his ups and downs, and heā€™s currently in one of the downs.

My bar would be someone whoā€™s a good bet to outperform Mauricio Dubon with the stick for the rest of the season. Vladdy, absolutely. Bell, maybe. Vaughn and Torkelson are super talented as well but have pretty rough track records. I just donā€™t love the idea of gambling on someone to go from a weak MLB hitter to a good one.

1 Like

I donā€™t think this adequately describes Bellā€™s season thus far. .242/.303/.373 for a so-so 1B. I think weā€™ve already got that covered.

4 Likes

I would love to acquire Vlad Jr. if Crane is willing to extend him beyond 2025. But, that is a huge question mark, and a Vlad Jr. trade will not be cheap from a talent perspective. The Blue Jays still control him in 2025.

Beyond Vlad, there arenā€™t a ton of great options on clear sellers right now. If the Cubs decide to sell, Bellinger could become a possibility. If the Rays opt to sell, Yandy Diaz could be an option.

Good idea, corner the market on weird named Diaz dudes.

4 Likes

The 2026 Astros are going to look much different than the current version.

Caratini, Bregman, Tucker, Verlander, Valdez, Pressly, and Montero will all be FA.

This team is built to win now.

If Blubaugh is anything like Hunter Brown, he will have some growing pains and not be at his best until at least 2026.

Arrighetti in 2024 isnā€™t the pitcher Flaherty is, and also comes with inning restrictions.

You must give up something to get something and trading both Arrighetti and Blubaugh leaves:

Brown - 2028
Blanco - 2029
Bloss - 2029 or 2030 by
Javier - 2027
L.Garcia - 2026
McCullers -2026
France - 2028

Gusto, Tamaraz, Kouba, Lauer, Robaina, and Gordon in AAA

#8 prospect Fleury in AA
#12 prospect Tredwell in A
#15 prospect Knorr in AA
#16 prospect Taylor in high A
#20 prospect Ullola in AA
#21 prospect Dombroski in high A

Its at least even money that at least 2 of those 12 minor leaguers end up better than Blubaugh and possibly even Arrighetti

Canā€™t not improve the team to hold on to a prospect/semi proven youngster unless that guy is a Tucker/Bregman/Yordan/Correa level prospect.

And very few pitchers are that sure of a thing.

Jake has been really good this year but I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Jake Meyers is not going to be the difference to win a World Series, Vlad Jr could be. And you would get him for the rest of this year and next year.

If it only cost me Meyers or McCormick for Vlad Jr., Iā€™d drive either to the airport in a second. Vlad Jr.ā€™s ceiling is much higher. But, heā€™s going to cost more.

1 Like

Framber for Vladito and Kikuchi. Iā€™ll hire a limo and have police clear traffic.

I understand your point, but McCullers canā€™t be counted on, and itā€™s too early to say Bloss is a lock to be part of the Astrosā€™ future rotation.

That said, Iā€™m all for trading for Jack Flaherty at the right cost.

Do the Astros have any demonstrative skill at ā€œfixingā€ hitters? Pitchers, 100%. Unparalleled success there. But hitters?

1 Like