Astros @ Angels, September 20, 2021

(Chas led off with an F9, Maldonado singled to RF)

Bregman Ks on a foul tip

Lots of breakdowns of that play online. Basically, if the offense plays it correctly, there is no defending it, one run is going to count. The only thing Tucker did wrong was stopping. He should have just sprinted to the plate as soon as the umpire says “play” and kept going until he either crossed the plate or was tagged.

2 Likes

Gosselin reaches after Bregman bobbles his tapper… scored a hit

They can work on that in ST. What I found fascinating was it happened against Lopez so he asked the other manager the next day “WTF happened and why?” Equally fascinating was he remembered the play after several years and reacted quickly to the situation.

That’s one of those plays that if you’ve never seen it, you probably don’t recognize what to do. I’ve never seen it, but luckily Lopez had. What are the odds?

DBacks manager said they didn’t have a replay review to use.

So, if they did, the manager initiates it , NY looks at it, umpires say he left early, then what? Runner is out it does defense have to throw over?

2 on 1 out after Marwin couldn’t connect with Carlos after a nice stop up the middle.

F7 for the 2nd out

I think the throw is necessary but am not certain.

So could Tucker have done the same thing even after a review?

It’s a pretty cool loophole.

Or is the sequence throw over, appeal then ask for review if you don’t get the call?

K ends the inning.

Still 2 nothing.

I think it is the latter.

2 Likes

Yordan Ks on a ball well off the plate. 3 inches at least.

ETA: called 3rd “strike”

The wiiiiiiide strike zone continues from the last series.

Yuli lines a ball off pitcher’s glove, reaches safely.

101 off the bat.

Tucker flies out to center.

Got one to hammer, just missed doing so.

Correa comes up to a chorus of boos.

That’s if 6 fans can make up a chorus.

Singles to right. Yuli to 2nd.

It’s like these umpires just revel in their ability to get away with anything, no matter how egregious.

But I don’t understand why they’re picking on a guy who wasn’t even here in 2017. It would make more sense if they were screwing Altuve or Correa. But it seems like Alvarez gets at least one horrible call per AB.

Yeah, I’m not entirely clear how a challenge of a tag up works. It’s a reviewable play, but you have to have a call to challenge in the first place. I would think you have to make the appeal first then request a review if you think the call is incorrect. Without the appeal, there is nothing to challenge.

And the runner could still thwart it by forcing a play.