Around the AL West 2022

Fuck. I’d forgotten/repressed that.

At least he’s a good hitter. The one I’ll never forget is Kendrick’s lucky doink off the RF foul pull.

1 Like

can’t help but like him somewhat. Rice boy

So fucking what where he went to college? That 2019 day vaulted over 1986 Game Six as the worst day of my Astros fan life.

5 Likes

I can pinpoint the specific incident on that day as the Kendrick HR. That was so unreal. The location, the swing, the result. The way it happened was soul crushing to an Astro fan. A part of me died because of that.

3 Likes

Such a good pitch. Such an improbable outcome. I blame Taubman.

7 Likes

So do I, das. So do I.

2 Likes

I’ve blocked most of that game out of my mind (never watched a highlight or anything), but I remember that pitch.

Someday I’ll feel like rewatching the game I’m sure, but not anytime soon.

I’ll never watch the game, but I did watch the pitch way more than once. Karma beat us. Fuck Taubman.

2 Likes

I refuse to watch that game too.

I won’t.

I’ve rewatched '86 a few times over the years, same with '80, the WFW game, so I just imagine I’ll inevitably watch this one someday.

That would make me suicidal. No thank you.

1 Like

If you ever even think about watching that game, I want you to call Mark or a help line.

1 Like

Mariners ship is sinking…

• Went just 3-8 on their homestand
  • Haven’t scored a run over their last 21 innings
  • Were shut out 4 times on the homestand and have been shut out 10 times this season which ties the Tigers for most in the majors
  • The Angels were responsible for 2 of the shutouts and took 4 of 5 games in the series despite of course having won just 2 of their prior 20 games before visiting Seattle
  • Currently are 29-39 on the season and 8 games back of the final wild card spot and will have to leap frog 5 teams to get there

It’s a bit premature but…sellers?

One of the livelier basebrawls in recent times occurred yesterday between the Mariners and Angels. Not too surprising given the built-up frustrations for both clubs given their massively disappointing seasons. Also familiarity breeds contempt as they had played 8 games against each other over the past 11 days. Plus the fact that both clubs are managed by hotheads in Servais and Nevin. The precipitating event was a near miss to Mike Trout’s head with a pitch in the 9th inning on Saturday.

So just before the game yesterday Nevin replaced expected starter Jose Suarez with reliever Andrew Wantz. But his role really wasn’t that of opener. It was headhunter. Even before the game started the Angels’ own TV broadcasters noted that Wantz “had an edge to him”. Wantz proceeded to throw behind the Mariners’ Julio Rodriguez in the first inning. And on the first pitch of the second inning he plunked Jesse Winker which set off the fireworks. Shaking off the HPU who tried to physically restrain him, Winker heads to the Angels dugout. First man out to challenge him was Anthony Rendon. Fighting with just one arm because the other was in a cast from his recent wrist surgery. Perhaps trying to show his usefulness in some manner given how much the Angels blew on his contract for so little performance.

And this was not the usual grab on to a guy from the other team and dance with him for a while. Winker was whaling on Angels. As was teammate JP Crawford. Things finally seemed to settle down and Winker heads back to his own dugout while repeatedly giving the one finger salute to Anaheim fans. Raisel Iglesias tries to restart things by trashing his own dugout and throwing bubble gum and sunflower seeds on to the field. Slo-mo shots of the latter abound.

Eight ejections. Fines and suspensions to follow.

Absolutely nothing to do with the fight but some trivia. Yes, I’m sure you knew that Servais and Nevin were former Astros. But did you know they were teammates? It was just for a brief time. Servais was on the 1995 squad when Nevin was called up from the minors to make his MLB debut on June 11. Later that month on the 28th Servais was shipped to the Cubs for catcher Rick Wilkins. Along with some dude named Luis Gonzalez. Nevin didn’t last much longer. Demoted to the minors on July 5 and traded to the Tigers the following month.

I saw the highlights of that, and it was a real rhubarb. Not harsh enough for anyone to lose their big gold chain, but it was legit.

Nevin and Servais are a whole lot of redass running those dugouts

1 Like

There were actual blows struck and not only a few.

1 Like

I do think it was complete chickenshit to have an opener do the plunking.

I also despise the the bullpen yahoos running in.

ETA: This article has a good summary and a clip of Wantz throwing at the head of Julio Rodriguez in the first.