Angels @ Astros, May 21, 2024

Jon does not want to lose his job!

2 Likes

Thank you, Jon!!!
See you next month!

Hope I’m wrong.

If Espada and Brown simply hand Jose Abreu his job back, that’s a mistake. Also, with Chas back, the coaching staff should be working with Loperfido every day to get him able to play 1B.

6 Likes

If they bring Abreu back before he owns wherever he’s playing in the minors it’s a mistake. They’re going to do it, of course, but it’s a mistake. And it will be felt all up and down the lineup.

3 Likes

I just can’t shake Abreu’s performance down the stretch and postseason last year. I think management has a similar memory.

Abreu lost his job this season for a reason. He should have to earn it back.

1 Like

We may need two Abreus in FL.

2 Likes

I’m not in charge, but I’d send him on a 20-day minor league rehab assignment and make him prove he can hit velocity in the minors before sticking him back at 1B for the big league club.

2 Likes

April Astros are well and truly back

There’s been precious little said about what particular issues were affecting Abreu, what they’re doing to correct them, and whether it’s working. Not that we’re entitled to that information one way or the other. But I’d definitely like to see some evidence that something has clicked before he’s back at 1B.

2 Likes

In addition, as nice as Singleton’s contributions have been, I really do think it’s folly to think he can be what this team actually needs for the season. Abreu can conceivably make that happen. But, I’m way less confident now than I was a year ago.

DFA, but
They will never accept the sunk cost.
Especially from the Brain Trust side.
I think they would rather lose games
than admit their mistake and simply
Move along.

Singleton is who he is, and I’m not arguing that he’s the answer, but he clearly has been exponentially more productive than Abreu, and, I would add, better defensively.

1 Like

If Jose Abreu proves against AA and AAA pitching that he has his swing right and can time velocity, bring him back. But, to do so after a few weeks at the Spring Training Complex hitting against rookie ball pitching is rushing the process. A minor league rehab assignment should be his next step.

3 Likes

Espada is quoted in Rome’s Athletic article saying that the team has discussed having him play a few games in the minors before joining the A’s series.

He implied the issue was swing mechanics and swing decision, not bat speed. They reportedly simplified his swing (removed toe tap, calmed his hands).

1 Like

Thank you, Kyle!!

Good god just give the man a blank check

2 Likes

They’re never going to do this because if they had him hit in-game pitching at any minor league level he would demonstrate that he can’t and they’d look like the idiots that they are. So they’re going to wait until Bagwell says He looks amazing! enough times and they’ll bring him up at the expense of someone who might actually contribute.

Kyle fucking smoked that one, holy shit. He’s going to demolish right field when he plays for the Yankees.

1 Like
1 Like