Alex Bregman, to me, is the greatest position player in Astros history

You know the Bucs owner cost him his Senior Baseball season right? They convinced his “business manager” that they had cleared it with the SEC to fly him to Tampa for a physical. When he landed back in Auburn and the baseball coach learned. They called and reported him taking a flight on a team owner’s plane. He was ruled ineligible to play any more sports at Auburn. That was when Bo decided he wasn’t going to play for Tampa. He told them and they still drafted him. That is on Culverhouse not on Bo.

I’m just a fan but thanks for that info.

I was a young teen I didn’t know about all that stuff.

Tomato…tomato. Jackson was skirting the rules his whole college career, with this “business manager” paying him under the table, doing business on his behalf. For all intents and purposes, he was Jackson’s agent. NCAA rules allowed the plane trip (and to be pro in one sport, amateur in another, for that matter) but the SEC didn’t. The Bucs rep claimed he spoke with SEC and cleared it beforehand, but the SEC Commissioner put the kibosh on it afterwards. Lots of finger pointing, and the New York Post wrote a vicious hit piece on Culverhouse, but Jackson blamed his “business manager”. It did sour him on the Bucs, however.

That is why I put “business manager” in the quotes.

Despite the agents input, Bo has always had a mind of his own. Alabama who had beaten Auburn 9 times in a row recruited Bo but told him “you will have to wait your turn”. Auburn promised him a chance to start as a freshman. He chose Auburn over Alabama and a chance to play pro baseball after getting drafted in the 2nd round by the Yankees (50th overall pick). There is a good what if for you there. What if he had chosen to sign with the Yankees and play baseball out of high school.

BTW he wasn’t the only player drafted in the second round in 82 to choose to go to school over signing. The other big names who did were Barry Bonds (39th overall pick) and Barry Larkin (51st overall).

And he could have played professional baseball and NCAA football at the same time, just not in the SEC.

Yeah, Ricky Williams was a minor leaguer in the Phillies org while he was a RB at UT.

Danny Ainge played in MLB with the Blue Jays while also playing basketball at BYU.

And killing UCLA (I think).

Kevin Murray was retired military while playing QB at A&M.