Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2023

Yeah, that’s not good. I’ll guarantee you he’s gonna have to undergo another Tommy John. We’ll be extremely fortunate if he’s ever a significant pitcher for us again. I sure hope I’m wrong about all that.

I hope you are too, but I don’t think you are, unfortunately. Hate to hear that about Lance but have been expecting it.

In some better news, Michael Brantley was in the batting cages today and also threw on the field:

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1666920930516299779

2 Likes

Sure hope that contract was insured or that Crane spends that money elsewhere anyway.

1 Like

If anyone is surprised by this news, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. I hope I am wrong, like usual, but I think he has been done for awhile.

5 Likes

Given Lance’s injury history, would he have been cheaper to insure than deGrom? Smaller contract, but probably a similarly high percentage (I read 70% for deGrom’s contract, don’t know if true).

You may appreciate this one:

In Hamilton “The Sory of Tonight”, the notes to “no matter what they tell you” are from a song LMM wrote called “I’ve Got a Bridge to Sell You”

1 Like

And he was hermetically sealed like John Travolta in “The Brantley in the Bubble,” to ward off “discomfort,” the Astros’ scourge

1 Like

What’s the history of pitcher effectiveness after 2 Tommy John surgery/rehabs?

It is written.

Answered my own question. TJS Revision (that’s what the second surgery is called) had a 65% return-to-MLB rate for the 36 pitchers that had it as of 2015. As of 2020, it’s up to 42 and the results are a bit more conclusive as stated in this article: Of the 42 major league pitchers who have had two Tommy John surgeries, the majority did not pitch in the majors again after their second or fared poorly over a short period. But many of those pitchers were well into their 30s at the time of the second surgery.. At least McCullers is only 29.

We’re fucked.

Via Tags:
Dusty Baker with a rather ominous quote about Alvarez injury: “We’ve just got to to regroup and try figure out how we’re going to win some ballgames and get through this.”

I have come to terms with the obvious fact the Astros will not repeat as WS champs and likely will not make it there. This is a crippled team, and it has been one all year. Brantley had some personal problem in ST, had to go home twice, and missed valuable rehab time. Altuve broke his hand in the WBC. Brantley had a setback in his rehab and is not playing yet. McCullers had multiple setbacks and may face TJS2. J. Abreu has not produced runs as everyone expected him to do. Bregman has not either. Valdez and Neris have faltered at times. Montero is getting hit. The offense is AWOL. The only brights spots have been Dubon, Alvarez, and Jake and Chas at times, and now Alvarez is hurt.

Last year, injury-wise, was a charmed year. This year appears to be cursed. Hang in there, folks, and be true fans. We are being tested.

5 Likes

2023 is like 2016. Future’s still bright, but it ain’t the year.

1 Like

We all know it is hard to repeat but let’s not give up too fast. A lot can happen to other teams also.

3 Likes

The 2020 Astros give me hope. As do the 2022 Phillies.

2018 Astros. They’ll keep fighting but it’s just so damn hard to repeat, especially with injuries.

4 Likes

Give up? Is that what you think I have done? You are a highly intelligent baseball fan, and I hope you know better than that.

1 Like

Things don’t look good right now, but I’m never counting out the Astros after the run they’ve had the past six years. They were absolutely dreadful in the 2020 shortened regular season, but still found a way to take the Tampa Bay Rays to game 7 in the ALCS after losing the first three of that series.

As long as they make the postseason, they have a chance, and nobody would want to face them.

Dana Brown definitely has his work cut out for him, though.

The Astros have the same record right now as they did at the same point in 21 and only a game behind where the 18 team was. It’s been rougher than any of us anticipated but this team still has plenty of fight in them.

4 Likes