Aches, Pains and Muscle Strains 2021

What a disappointing probable end for a guy we thought would be a star.

I think disappointing is an understatement. Just goes to show that there is never a sure thing when it comes to mlb prospects.

I think it was Baseball Prospectus that coined the term “Tinstapp” - There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect

1 Like

Headline says it all…

I think it was Rob Friedman (aka Pitching Ninja) who said on Twitter a few years that his was a very contrarian opinion but the Astros should trade Whitley while his value was maxed out. There was something about Whitley’s delivery (wrist action, perhaps?) that was setting him up for serious injury.

May very well not have been Friedman because I couldn’t find the post after a cursory search last night. Perhaps someone else will have better luck.

Yes. I think I remember reading a couple years back that they changed his mechanics, etc. and that was the first reason I remember being given for first struggles.

Are we now suggesting that the Astros somehow ruined Whitley? His struggles appear to go far deeper than his wrist mechanics. I’d look between his ears first.

3 Likes

Not me. I always hate to hear about a player getting hurt so there’s that. Otherwise, I don’t give a damn how he got where he is…only give a damn that it sucks for the Astros.

Totally true. I had a discussion about this today with someone who knows more than I.

Woke up early this morning and yesterday’s game was on MLB. During Diaz’s last AB. The pitch before his hit, he grabbed his hammy after the swing. He singled and then left for a pinch runner. I suspect his injury list is gaining another entry.

1 Like

He’s in the lineup for today’s game so apparently it wasn’t anything serious.

1 Like

In addition to Bregman, Jason Castro returns to action tomorrow after missing 2 weeks with the strained oblique and Alvarez will get his 2nd start of the spring.

1 Like
1 Like

Y’all I can’t believe Heyman might have gotten something wrong:

3 Likes

Extremely good news. Crossing (delicate) fingers: this bumps Cristian Javier back into the pen.

1 Like

Perhaps this is a bit premature but I suspect we’re seeing another pitcher scrubbed from the opening day roster…

After Scrubb gave up a homer to Washington’s Victor Robles on the first pitch of the fourth inning, catcher Martín Maldonado summoned head athletic trainer Jeremiah Randall to the mound because he noticed Scrubb’s velocity was down. Scrubb was pulled from the game after talking briefly with Baker and Randall on the mound.

Good news obviously but I still wonder if further rest and a visit to the IL won’t be necessary…

Dusty Baker per Jake Kaplan says Andre Scrubb unlikely to be available for opening day.

And in a “shocking” development Aledmys Diaz is injured. And whether what Steve saw on the telecast 10 days ago (which I saw as well) was the start of it who knows but he does have a tight hammy. He is expected to be ready for opening day. However a hamstring problem kept him on the injured list for a significant part of the 2019 season.

1 Like

Chandler Rome with further details about the Straw man…

Hidden

A presumed COVID-19 positive test by another player in Astros camp sidelined starting center fielder Myles Straw for Saturday’s game against the Mets, a person with knowledge of the team’s situation told The Chronicle. Straw is among at least three players affected by contact tracing, including the player who is presumed to have tested positive. If the Astros’ presumed positive is confirmed and Straw is deemed a close contact, he faces a mandatory seven-day quarantine, according to Major League Baseball’s operations manual.