Aches, Pains and Muscle Strains 2021

Well the man says he intends to pitch next season so guess we’ll lead off the new thread with this…

A 38-year old Verlander closing for the Astros in the playoffs just a hair over 12 months out from TJS? In the unlikeliest of events it ever came to pass, that would be one friggin’ great story.

1 Like

I’ve linked to this spreadsheet before which keeps a running list of pitchers who have undergone TJS and associated statistics.

If you want to see average recovery times broken down by say the age of the pitcher when the surgery was performed (15.6 months for someone Verlander’s age) or by time of year when the surgery was performed (19.3 months for Jul-Sep surgeries) you can see that here:

3 Likes

Fantastic work

Jake Kaplan has an update on Austin Pruitt today. Pruitt (Luhnow’s final acquisition, from the Rays) had surgery four months ago to put a screw in his elbow to fix a hairline fracture. He was cleared to begin throwing on Monday, but he is quarantining after a positive COVID test. He is not expected to be done with his rehab by Opening Day, but will hopefully be throwing off a mound during spring training.

Alvarez can jog a little at least.

From the article…

According to the MLB operations manual, a person who has been identified as having been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID will be subject to a mandatory quarantine of seven days and must test negative on Day 5 or later among other requirements to rejoin facilities. Individuals who test positive will be required to isolate for a minimum of 10 days and must be cleared by physicians.

Regardless, the eight pitchers won’t be working out with their teammates at Ballpark of the Palm Beaches or appearing in Grapefruit League games for at least the next week. Martes and Paredes each threw an inning in relief in Houston’s win over St. Louis on Thursday night.

Someone who speaks Spanish please tell them the rules.

Small portion of crow for lunch if this is true. Holy crap. This is crazy.

That hammy problem for Bregman has been bothering him for two months…

Hamstrings are a bitch

yeah, they kinda leave you hamstrung.

I think that I remember reading somewhere that Bregman had put on 27 pounds since last year. That could create a lot of extra strain on his hamstrings.

Yes I am aware this was noted in another thread…

He also pulled a hammy 27 pounds lighter in Colorado last year.

Latest ETA on Alvarez and Bregman…

Hidden

Neither Alvarez nor Bregman has appeared in a game yet this spring. Earlier this week, Baker said Bregman was ahead of Alvarez in his return to play, but changed his tone Tuesday after speaking with the Astros’ athletic trainers. Baker said Alvarez, who underwent surgery on both knees last August, could debut in a game early next week and Bregman would follow “shortly after that.”

So Whitley will enter 2022 with just 248 innings pitched as a professional (includes Arizona Fall League play) over six seasons…