2024 Summer Olympics

He’s definitely not showing that video all around the Olympic Village right now, noooo siree.

2 Likes

Hopefully he had the balls to get back up and go.

Then there’s this guy-

https://x.com/jamesk_1312/status/1819728818887958954?s=42

2 Likes

At a relay meet in high school, I saw a vaulter butcher his attempt and fall to the side head and shoulders first. He missed the mat entirely, though. One of the scariest things I’ve ever seen in person.

One of our vaulters did that and broke his arm.

I felt really bad for him. He wasn’t the best athlete (none of us were) but he took to the pole vault and worked hard at it. He got pretty good then the accident happened.

Yikes. A fall like is pretty damn scary. Glad your teammate “only” broke his arm.

1 Like

Women’s cycling road race…Kristen Faulkner, from Homer, Alaska, wins gold. At 17 km she was in the third chase group, like 1:45 behind. By 6 km she was in the second chase group :45 behind. At 3 km she caught the leaders and then just exploded. No one even tried to chase her. She wins by almost a full minute. Wow.

2 Likes

His was closer at the finish but similar race tactics as Alexi Grewal’s USA 1984 Olyimpc Gold in the road race.

Holy shit the ending of that100. Unreal

2 Likes

The road course went within two blocks of our apartment in the 14th! We watched the men go by this morning and then went and watched the women go by this afternoon. It’s not a protracted experience. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve watched five or six replays and I still can’t understand how Lyles pulled that out. Amazing.

This morning’s uneven bars final was great. Knowing nothing about gymnastics, you start to see pretty quickly how coolest-looking moves aesthetically aren’t necessarily the highest-scoring ones. But then an elite competitor can come along and crush it in both ways, which is what the Algerian gymnast did to win the gold.

Yesterday’s vault event was entertaining too. The competitors and their teams all hang out on the same sideline, so they’re always hugging and high-fiving each other no matter where they’re from—except the North Korean gymnast, who was clearly not supposed to interact with the others. But she seemed so nice and so excited to be there, just wanted to participate in the fun with the rest of them. There was one moment where a gymnast finished her vault, walked down the sideline hugging everyone, and passed by the North Korean girl without acknowledging her (I’m sure as instructed) but the NK girl still smiled and waved at her. Broke my heart.

5 Likes

Watching in real time, I thought there was no way Lyles could pull it out.

1 Like

Neither did the announcers. They didn’t say anything for like 30 seconds, when clearly they were showing in the stadium that Lyles had won. This is why studio announcers suck.

I could watch Italian women play beach volleyball all day.

1 Like

I had the same impression. The cameras are clearly focused on Lyles, who’s celebrating and even said he won the race, but the announcers gave us literal silence.

Nobody who watched Netfix’s “Sprint” series will be surprised to see Jacobs’s hammie wrapped up after the race. Although he probably did run his best time since Tokyo. He’s like a high-end Italian auto: magnificent for the 1% of the time that it’s working.

That was one of the coolest things I’ve seen this Olympics. It was like 15 seconds and the other 3 riders looked at each other and said, “OK, who wants silver?”

After 117 km, she had the legs. Theirs were like jelly. They were helpless.

You could tell the Belgian she was riding with on the chase wasn’t contributing the same but that could’ve been strategy. It wasn’t.

Speed Climbing is an Olympic sport. Climbers race two at a time up a wall with hand holds for the best time. I was surprised how fast they climbed. Almost like they are running up that wall.

1 Like