2024 Roster

No, no, no, fans are the supreme judges of arm strength.

6 Likes

So I was wrong in my memory of what I saw, but not by much. He is 85th percentile with a weighted average of 89.8 MPH on throws. His max is 95.6 MPH.

If youā€™re wondering where his arm would rank among Astros OFs, his average would be second, trailing only Trey Cabbage(max 94.1), and his max is behind Dubon who has a 99.3 max(ave 89.1) and Jake Meyers somehow has a max of 97 but an average of 84.3.

Gamel for what itā€™s worth, hasnā€™t made enough throws this year(min 50), to be rated. You have to go back to 2022 to get data on his arm, and he was 52nd percentile at 85.4 MPH

2 Likes

The only way a ball thrown by Jake Meyers could come at you at 97mph is if he was on a train doing 50mph when he threw it.

7 Likes

Well, that would depend on how fast your train is going (in the opposite direction), when both trains left, and whether or not this is an algebra test.

8 Likes

He wonā€™t 3 hop the cutoff man

1 Like

So, I tried to find the 97MPH throw but there isnā€™t really a mechanism for looking up individual throws. You can go through every play a fielder is involved in, you can narrow the search to certain results, but not for velocity of throw. Unfortunately, I think we just have to take statcasts word for it. Theoretically, itā€™s logged somewhere what throw it was but I canā€™t find a way to access it.

My money is on a data transcription error somewhere.

There is no fucking way Meyers ever threw a ball 97 mph.

6 Likes

This is the alleged 97 MPH throw:

Safe to say there was some sort of error in the system.

I got to the vid by clicking on this dot:

1 Like

Thank you for finding it. I never even thought about clicking on the dot

I think it was 9.7 mph.

4 Likes

Can Chas be optioned? If so, would have thought they would have optioned the hell out of him.

Heyward hasnā€™t been activated yet, that probably happens tomorrow. Weā€™ll see who gets sent down. And I believe Chas does still have an option left

A quick google says yes.

Chas to AAA.

https://x.com/brianmctaggart/status/1828935726416703629?s=19

1 Like

Happy that he was able to get a homer in that last AB. Heā€™ll be back, whether itā€™s this year or next. Heā€™s gotta work on shit and get his confidence back

4 Likes

He went out with a bang.

5 Likes

Honestly, we couldnā€™t have hoped for a better last ab from Chas before a demotion. Heā€™s been a mess but a shot of success before working his shit out can only help.

1 Like

Crazy thing on that homerā€¦thatā€™s the swing and approach Chas brought with him to the big leagues way back when. Middle in fastball that he stayed inside the ball on and drove to RCF. Thatā€™s probably what heā€™s gotta get back to. Hopefully he can and does before the end of this season.

4 Likes

Classic Bibb Falk story:

Tom Hamilton was an All-American slugger in the 50s. Powerful LH hitter, and UTā€™s field had a fairly short RF fence.

Hamilton went the other way and won an important game with a late inning homer to the much deeper LF. After he rounded the bases and was met by his joyous teammates, Coach Falk approached him.

Falk: ā€œAre you ever going to learn to pull the ball?ā€

6 Likes