2024 Roster

Jason Heyward is better than any healthy outfielder they have other than Yordan Alvarez and Jake Meyers. That’s why.

3 Likes

This was predictable. Mark and I discussed his likely signing over beer recently.

1 Like

Also, Tucker coming back or not should not factor into if you sign Heyward. Tucker can come back and Heyward stays on the roster as a defensive sub or platoon with Dubon

To add even more, he’s going to sign for the league minimum. If he sucks, you can just cut him for effectively nothing. No risk signing that could help the team.

1 Like

Chas is the reason, no doubt.

7 Likes

If they signed him over beer that’s even better.

4 Likes

Heyward’s 2023 season was pretty good, and it looks like the Dodgers barely let him see left-handed pitching. I wonder if the Astros insist on keeping him in that same type of platoon role.

1 Like

As soon as I heard this I figured Chas to be the odd man out.

Even if it just un-noddlefies the outfield in late innings seems worth it.

Over beer recently, Mark and I discussed his likely signing.

Is that better, Professor?

1 Like

Exactly. Outside of Yordan, a healthy Tucker and Jake Meyers, Heyward becomes the next best outfield option. He also just hit a three-run homer off the Mariners’ closer, Andres Munoz, about a week ago to break a 3-3 tie in the eighth inning. If it works out, great. If not, you cut him and move on.

I just can’t imagine Mark being over beer.

3 Likes

Not really. I kind of like the thought of Heyward hashing out a deal at the pub.

Recently whilst enjoying a beer with my son Mark, we discussed the Astros possibly signing Heyward.

3 Likes

This signing is a no-brainer.

4 Likes

Absolutely

Over Macho Grande?

I’ll never get over Macho Grande.

5 Likes

Nor I

“The hospital?! What is it?!”

“It’s a big building with doctors and Astros players, but that’s not important right now.”

9 Likes

Over what time period? I have a couple of friends that are Dodgers fans (yes, really) and they both said his arm has taken a dip this year and appears “about average”. Which would still be a sharp upgrade to the current arms.

I can’t help myself. I am picturing him doing that to the Dodgers closer in a couple of months.

4 Likes

Statcast for this year has 89th percentile but admittedly, I believe that is max arm strength. I’ll take a look in a minute more deeply.

1 Like