2024 Roster

He wasn’t nearly as effective this year, but the Cubs released him so his $9 million option for next season wouldn’t vest based on appearances.

1 Like

He may have been overmatched, but for me, at least, the fact that he did not have his head in the game is why I am happy to see him optioned. Boneheaded plays in the OF and on the bases should not be the norm.

8 Likes

According to Rome on Xitter, The Astros claimed Ben Gamel off of waivers from the Mets and moved France to the 60-day to fit him on the 40-man.

Does he still pretty hair? Can he throw more than 100 feet without bouncing the ball?

1 Like

Today I learned that Ben Gamel is still floating around the big leagues

45 big league plate appearances over the last two seasons? Ok.

Martinez optioned to make way for JV

Astros are signing Hector Neris per Ari Alexander of KPRC.

If it is a major league deal the Astros will need to make a corresponding 40-man roster move.

6 Likes

Rome says it will indeed be a major league deal.

1 Like

Can he hit?

2 Likes

I like it. Hopefully he can regain 2023 form.

1 Like

Getting the band back together

4 Likes

Badass news!!!

Can you imagine the weeping and gnashing of teeth that will commence if the Astros brain trust is able to fix him in a week or two?

2 Likes

17 saves, 3.89 ERA
Pretty fixed already.

4 Likes

It would be a sight to behold.

Cabbage optioned, Ben Gamel added and he’s playing RF tonight

2 Likes

Yeah, Neris doesn’t need to be “fixed” as such. He hasn’t been as good with the Cubs as he was with the Astros but he’s done ok overall. The Cubs released him so his option for next year doesn’t vest, not because he was bad.

3 Likes

According to baseball reference’s Astros page, Gamel will be the 1000th player in Astros history when he plays tonight.

5 Likes

That’s interesting. It’s a smaller number than I would have expected, but I guess it makes sense when you think of it as 50 years with 20 new faces per year.