2024 Roster

You’re welcome

1 Like

Yep. Espada says Aledmys has been released.

1 Like

Martinez up for Pressly. I was kind of hoping for Whitley.

1 Like

Whitley? I heard tell of some prospect named Whitley but that was years ago. Don’t think he’s still alive.

Cabbage up, Leon down.

Makes sense. Leon just looked overmatched.

I have no idea how many AAA at bats a guy needs. . .

Not saying there is any similarity, but the 19-year old Cesar Cedeno was so overmatched I thought he might never get a hit. My unerringly accurate thought was “Typical Astros. They have ruined this prospect.” They let him keep playing, and he apparently was not ruined.

The 2024 Astros do not have that luxury. Too bad. I know a lot of us were excited when Leon signed.

I thought it might be Montero if he is pitching well in AAA.

You’d have to add him back to the 40 man. Would have to be pretty confident in him returning to form.

For those who haven’t noticed - Whitley in 23 games has 30 Ks to just 8 BB & 20 hits.
Last night, he gave up earned runs for the first time since June 26th (15 appearances). The two runs raised his ERA to 2.66.

4 Likes

Maybe they’re worried about the injury risk driving from Sugar Land.

5 Likes

Those sorts of details escape me.

1 Like

In a similar vein, saw Biggio in a spring training game prior to his rookie season and thought he was completely in over his head and a long shot. For some reason, Houston never came to me for scouting insight.

6 Likes

Holy cow! The Cubs released Neris.

7 Likes

Postseason-eligible as long as he signs before September. Also one more roster spot available for a pitcher next month. If they pass on him I’d have to trust that decision, I’m sure Miller/Murphy will push Dana to get him if they think he’s got MLB outs left in his arm.

2 Likes

He has given up the same number of runs in 40- something innings this year as he did in 60-something last year.

His WHIP is a plump 1.5.

Strikeouts/9 IP still a decent 9.4. BB/9: 5.3, H/9: 8.4

If the boys in the lab think there’s something there bring him back.

1 Like

Would love to see him back if he’s healthy.

2 Likes

For a guy who seemed to regularly get himself into (and out of) jams, that declining SO/W ratio does not portend well for success. Too much traffic.

If the staff thinks they can fix him, though, I’m all for them taking a flyer. I like the swagger he brings.

The Cubs defense is pretty questionable, so at least a little of that may be playing for a team that doesn’t make a ton of plays behind him.

I don’t know if it’s still a problem, but I’ve also heard players bitch about the infield playing surface at Wrigley. But, yes, there could be a number of contributing factors.

Or he could just be running out of bullets.