2024 Roster

Abreu and Montero remain on the books through 2025 and the Astros will get zero value going forward (save whatever Montero may salvage if he remains in the organization). That money eats up a chunk of the Astros’ allowable payroll beneath the luxury tax line, payroll that could otherwise go/have gone toward filling roster holes in areas of weakness.

I would never accuse Crane of being cheap. He’s pushed up against and sometimes past the luxury tax line. He has put his money where his mouth is. That is beyond debate, imo. If anything, I’d say it’s the opposite problem—he threw big money at two signings when there was no GM, the kind of money that a GM might have cautioned against spending.

We’re talking about a problem from 2022 two years later, I think it’s already been remedied, it’s just that the consequences continue through the present and for another year. Is what it is.

Oh what I would give for him to have bought the franchise a few years sooner.

Verlander wanted $40 million per, didn’t he? The answer to that was no from the beginning. In your words, “that was more then he deserved.”

No, he is not wrong.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. I hate giving up on a great arm, but it’s a results oriented business, and Montero just wasn’t getting it done. But he was a great Astros and a key piece of that shutdown 2022 bullpen that carried them to the top of the mountain. I hope he gets another chance.

4 Likes

I strongly disagree that those contracts have no impact. Maybe they have less impact than I am giving credit but no impact at all I can’t agree with at all.

We’re never going to agree on contract stuff, and that’s ok.

I think it’s impossible to prove either way, but let’s consider the broader context. The payroll is currently ~$28 million over the luxury tax threshold. Of course Crane doesn’t have infinite money, and he may not be quite as willing to spend like a Steve Cohen type, but if he says he’s not worried about the payroll or luxury tax (and I know he’s at least said the latter) then I’m inclined to believe him.

As for Verlander, he wasn’t going to get anywhere close to the deal he got from any team but the Mets in any offseason but that offseason. As he has gotten older we have all watched him lose velocity and sharpness as recent postseasons have dragged on, so not signing him to a 2+1 deal for such stupid money in his age 40-41 seasons on a reconstructed elbow almost certainly has more to do with those factors and not what the team had already done with Abreu and Montero. Dealing prospects to get him back at his 2022 salary is perfectly defensible even in hindsight.

8 Likes

Deadweight contracts are like a sore hamstring. They may slow you down but they don’t necessarily keep you from winning.

I’m pretty impressed that Crane jettisoned - after a thousand chances - Abreu…and then same with Montero. Right things to do, but that’s a lot of money to eat.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree, and I wouldn’t have signed Verlander for that deal either. That’s just one thing that the money could have been used for. The Abreu/Montero/Verlander money is already well over 40 million this year and only JV is still expected to contribute in any way. So you ended up in virtually the same place place as if you had signed that Verlander deal, but you’d have two extra prospects that could have been dealt this deadline or last for more reenforcements. Bad deals have branching effects is all I’m saying.

Exactly. You can still run, just not without some discomfort

1 Like

Booooooooo!!!

2 Likes

I think the only person who can evaluate the impact is the billionaire with the guaranteed multi-billion capital asset that generates hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue a year for the sole purpose of operating one major league baseball team.

I am very grateful that MLB has no salary cap as armchair-contract-evaluator and salary cap expert is one of the my least favorite prisms through which I like to consume sports.

5 Likes

Montero should clear waivers and will hopefully accept the Astros offer of a minor league assignment. Might do well to go down and work on what made him successful in the past without any real pressure of results.

1 Like

I was completely happy with the Abreu signing. Nobody could have foreseen such a dramatic decline.
Locking up Montero seemed like a good idea to me, too. Upon reflection, they did pay for one good year, but that one good year coincided with being a key member of a World Series championship.
Good on Crane for cutting his losses, at least.

2 Likes

Relief pitchers are such a crapshoot, I’m not sure how you approach that every offseason, even the one’s who have some “bonafides” are flakey. Like Montero or Graveman or etc…

Very well said. Some contracts just don’t go as planned. Montero was a very key piece to the 2022 team. He got some big outs for the team.

So what would you like to know?

8 Likes

LHP Eric Lauer released from AAA. He was signed to a minor league deal as possible rotation depth a while back.

https://x.com/chandler_rome/status/1819145826666750009

Update: MLBTR says Lauer is headed to the KBO.

Astros claimed RHP Janson Junk from the Brewers. Up-and-down guy the past few years, used to start, looks like he converted to the bullpen full time this season.

1 Like

Did we really need a junkballer?

2 Likes