2024 Roster

Crane made a mistake??? On the number of years maybe but not on the signings. Maybe you forgot in 2022 Montero was the 8th inning pitcher. I think I remember a championship that year.

1 Like

The mistake was the dollars, not the extension. The second that deal was announce, practically everyone in the industry said that was a horrible deal.

1 Like

Wowza. $90+ million in DFAs in a two-month period.

Even considering that, it was a mistake, even at the time. We all agreed Jose Abreu was a good signing but we did not all like the Montero one. My thinking at the time was “I’m glad he’s back but I would not do that deal”

1 Like

The fallacy of sunk costs is real and it’s good that the FO is moving on.

Like Jim I’m sorry it didn’t work out both for Montero and for us as fans.

4 Likes

Big fucking deal what “the industry” thinks. It was the Astros; how does the industry feel about them?

And I do not agree that we all thought the Montero signing was a bad one – I have come to believe that to be the case (ref my Monterrible moniker) but I was fine with it at the time.

Perhaps you don’t care. Perhaps I don’t care. What I’m pointing out is that he got way more money than he deserved. And a bunch of the people agreed with the fact that he got too much money. Maybe you were in that 5%. There’s nothing wrong with that if that if you were. But he got closer type money when he had only had one good season in the sport. That was a horrible contract.

1 Like

One of the very few differences between you and me is I do not give a fuck what the team decides to do about contracts.

“More money than he deserved?” Oh my. In this mega-millions era, how do you decide what someone “deserves?”

1 Like

I guess in the same way you decide a contract is ok in your eyes.

I only care insofar as it limits other moves when you pay a guy more than you should.

2 Likes

How do you decide “more than you should?” Seems to me that is the owner’s decision, not a decision for a bunch of message board nerds.

2 Likes

Let me hasten to add I am not defending either contract. All I am saying is that ii was Crane’s decision, and I am not going to play wannabe owner.

1 Like

Final numbers on those two deals:

Abreu – 3 years/$58.5 million got 653 AB of .217/.275/.351 before release
Montero – 3 yrs/$34.5 million got 105.2 IP of 4.94 ERA before release

(The Crane/Bagwell GM era also made one other notable move, signing Branley for 1 yr/$12 million. That got 54 good ABs before injuries led to retirement.)

You compare what Montero got vs what other guys similar to Montero got. Guys with Montero’s track record at the time made about 5-6 per year and Montero got 3/33. Neris has had a far better career than Montero and he got nothing in comparison. Paying 10+ million for multiple years to any non elite reliever is something teams just don’t do. You can find another Montero, or a Tayler Scott, or Ryne Stanek

I am not going to argue with you. One never wins doing that. Montero was elite in 2022.

Not trying to argue, just explaining my thinking since you asked

This assumes that the future is completely predictable based on current knowledge AND that everyone has the same level of knowledge. Neither is true in real life. If Montero had grown into a bonafide closer, we would have been praising ownership’s faith in its player development skills and scouting abilities.

I’m not basing him being a bad signing based on results, but process. Signing him to that deal was bad process regardless of result.

1 Like