2024 Roster

Yay Jim, formerly of Idaho. Leon will not be worse than Loperfido, and he may be better. All imo, of course.

2 Likes

I like Lopefido.

I like his energy and enthusiasm. I like his defense and his versatility. Those are things a winning team needs.

I didn’t like his bat FOR 2024. He had enough PAs to show that was lacking. Hopefully Leon can hit better sooner.

There is always a cost and the SP market now is crazy.

I think Brown paid a lot, but not more than he had to.

The alternative was giving up on the season.

I have been waiting for Leon in an Astros uniform for 3+ years. I hope he is good and gives this team a spark, but its no guarantee.

3 Likes

Looks like Dubin is back after the trade and Leon will wear number 4

Had not seen that – they lose Loperfido & Bloss, but gain Ferguson & Leon. Also, Dubin was just sent down, so if he is back up it would be due to an injury. That would hurt.

I thought the same thing but I wonder if there is an exception for when a trade opens a roster spot

But a trade did not open one up … or more precisely, one trade opened it and the next filled it.

Kikuchi won’t be added to the roster right away. They have a few days before they have to do that.

Kikuchi and Ferguson expected to join the Astros tomorrow. Ferguson I imagine will be added to the roster tomorrow. Kikuchi they may wait until Thursday or Friday so they can keep an extra bullpen arm through the Pirates series.

Wait? Isn’t Ferguson a minor leaguer?

I thought Ferguson was a minor leaguer.

Wow. This trade deadline was flat terrible.

No, Ferguson is a major league reliever. A lefty who has had a rough year but plenty of success before. He’s a good addition for very little imo

Maybe.

I just think with Murfee coming back and what I have seen of King, Ort, and of course, Scott ANY addition will not really be much if an improvement.

( sorry I am VERY frustrated and down right now)

I get it. Can’t have too many bullpen options though. King and Ort both have options so they can wait in the wings or trade places every couple of weeks to keep everyone fresh. We don’t know what we will get from Murphy, until he’s on the field I’m not counting on anything

1 Like

Plus Ferguson is a FA after this season.

Yep. With the number of emergency arms this team has had to rely on, anyone who can get major league outs is valuable, and the price for Ferguson just wasn’t that high.

2 Likes

Astros DFA Montero!!!

Seth Martinez was also optioned. This creates the roster spots for Kikuchi and Ferguson.

2 Likes

Now that is unexpected. So in December of 22 the Astros signed two 3 year deals and neither one made it through year 2.

Montero always had talent but holy shit was he frustrating

I know the DFA is warranted, but I am sorry it happened to him. Can he now be traded before being released?

2 Likes

He was lights out for awhile until he wasn’t.

3 Likes

Yep, and I have to give Crane credit here. He could have been stubborn with Abreu and Momtero because of the timing of when they were signed, but he’s given the green light to do what had and should be done. He’s basically admitting he made a mistake and taking responsibility. I like that. Let’s move on.

1 Like

I think he can, but I’m pretty sure we would have to eat a bunch of that salary, which it looks like we are now prepared to do.