2024 Roster

Bregman says hi.

3 Likes

I agree. A hitter may have a bad day at the plate, but they are never solely responsible for losing a game. There are eight other hitters in a lineup that get chances to drive runs in, too.

2 Likes

Salazar to be activated for today’s game. Loperfido back to AAA.

https://x.com/aria1exander/status/1800485544830636045

Yeah, if you’re going to refuse to play him, makes sense to send him back down

If the Astros can’t find playing time for him with Tucker and Diaz banged up and not available, that’s a problem.

1 Like

They played him. He scored what should have been the winning run. Maybe if that had held up he would still be around? Gotta have someone to hang it on.

I mean, they obviously can’t send down Cabbage

Either Yainer’s thumb is worse than the Astros are letting on, or if Yainer is good to catch, they plan on using Caratini at 1B or DH the next few games. If true, they need a backup catcher in the short term.

Caratini can still be the backup catcher, even if he’s playing 1B or DH. I has to be something with the former.

1 Like

I enjoy burning one of Loperfido’s options to have him be a Manfred man one game. Seems like outstanding roster management from a group of polished professionals.

2 Likes

He was already optioned once this year

1 Like

Options are based on seasons, not the number of trips up and down. His option for this year has already been used. I think he has to stay down 10 days now (barring injury on the big club), but I think that’s the only “cost”.

2 Likes

You are correct, that’s the only “cost.”

This is mostly correct. His “option year” has been used for this year but there is a separate rule regarding options. A player can only be optioned 5 times within the same season. So he is now at 2. In all likelihood, he won’t get close to 5 but you can’t just callup and send down as many times as you want. You are correct about the 10 days, unless a MLB player goes on the IL.

4 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I was unaware of the “5 times in a year” aspect. So Chuck is right: we used up one of those for a pinch-running opportunity and 1/3 of an inning in LF.

That’s one of the rule changes that came in with the last CBA. The idea was to have less reliever churn because that 5th time the guy goes on waivers

1 Like

Trade deadline talk from “my friend”

Not sure where to put it - so I will put it here.

Astros and Mets have spoken about Pete Alonso as a rental.

Mets want too much right now but they are still keeping in touch.

Nats and Astros have discussed Harvey or Florio for the Astros pen, the Nats want a young pitcher back.

The Marlins are listening on a couple of relievers, including Tanner Scott and the Astros have checked in on Scott.

The Astros are amongst the teams interested in Kevin Gausman.

Astros have kicked the tires on Spencer Torkelson.

Rockies have no interest in trading their guys.

Astros and A’s have spoken about Brent Rooker - and cost is “A’s expensive”, whatever the hell that means.

The Angels have told teams they will be sellers most likely.

The Yankees have asked about Alex Bregman - Astros said they were not selling.

Teams like some of the Astros recently drafted arms - and Arrighetti.

The A’s like Pedro Leon and Melton.

1 Like

Least surprising things I’ve read all day. Nobody loves Rockies players like the Rockies.

Until they get buyer’s remorse after extending a guy and flip him to St. Louis for nothing.

2 Likes

Leon might be the guy most likely to move. But I would not trade anything significant to get help for this year. This squad is beyond the help needed.

7 Likes