2024 Roster

Me too. Another guy with a great arm who could not hit the side of a barn.

I thought he had turned things around a couple of seasons ago in AAA.

Brown on the 2024 roster:

• Not ā€œa tonā€ of financial flexibility, but Crane will spend what it takes
  • Outfield isnā€™t a priority with Yordan, Chas, and Dubon in the fold
  • Biggest priorities are bullpen depth and a backup catcher
  • Open to adding a starter if thereā€™s a chance to land a #3 or better within their budget

Did I miss something about Machete leaving?

Heā€™s a free agent. Not sure what you are refering to though.

The team looking for a backup catcher.

1 Like

Brownā€™s mentioned needing a backup C a couple times now. Maldonadoā€˜s one of the options on the market, but it sounds to me like Brown wants to move on.

1 Like

I think bringing Maldy back at all would only create potential issues the team doesnā€™t need.

1 Like

And just as I post this, Romeā€™s latest article says thereā€™s mutual interest in Maldonado coming back, possibly as Verlanderā€™s personal catcher.

I would love to see him back for another season and continue to help Diaz grow as a player.

1 Like

Nothing official, but many of us are guessing heā€™ll retire.

Take with all the grains of salt you require.

I worry that as soon as Diaz has any kind of slump or bad game, pressure is built on mgr to start Maldy.

By fans, by pitchers, by media.

By May he is JV AND Framberā€™s personal catcher.

By June he is catching Javier and Urquidy also.

By All star break Diaz is sitting 4 days per week.

1 Like

I doubt this would happen. Everyone, Maldy included, knows Diaz is the future and that the future is now

Plus, no Dusty anymore.

4 Likes

I have never been part of a professional sports team.

But I have been part of organizations.

I have been part of a group where the manager was demoted and the assistant manager was promoted.

Many team members liked the old manager and felt he was doing a perfectly fine job.

Every decision the new manager made was compared to a similar situation and what the old manager did. I suppose thats normal and unavoidable.

When things werenā€™t going well, there were rumblings that the old manager should be reinststed.

Instead of 1 organization, it fractured into 2 separate groups with completely different wants and goals.

Before long, both individuals, along with several others, were let go and thecentire team needed to be rebuilt.

Now obviously this is somewhat different, but everyone clearly respects Dusty and his knowledge. How likely is it that various players start thinking he was right to play Maldy nearly everyday and want that if Diaz calls a bad pitch or canā€™t get on the same page with a pitcher in a game?

How does all this affect Diaz? Will he be looking over his shoulder putting pressure on himself? Will it be harder to avoid or get out of slumps? Is he just not comfortable or confident in the security of his role?

If Maldy isnā€™t there the temptation isnā€™t there.

You are now Brad Pitt from Moneyball.

If heā€™s not on the roster he canā€™t play.

This is a lot of words about a situation involving a player that is not currently on the roster, a GM that has publicly stated a readiness to move on from that player, and a manager that doesnā€™t currently exist.

Bringing back Maldonado will only be toxic if Maldonado wants it to be, and/or if Brown and the new manager allow it to become that way.

6 Likes

But what if the experts think he might help the team??? That would be way too dangerous!!!

1 Like

Has anyone ever seen Idstrosfan and Noe in the same place?

6 Likes

This Noe sounds like a reasonable poster. Iā€™ll need to look back at some takes.

6 Likes